Monday, November 30, 2009

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

Posted by: Annie

Source Smitten Kitchen via Craving Chronicles

This dessert probably belongs at a St. Patrick's Day celebration - rather than the days following Thanksgiving, however I made them for my best friend's birthday, because as a lover of Bailey's I could not deny her the deliciousness of these cupcakes. Everything about these cupcakes are amazing - from the rich chocolate batter to the Bailey's flavored icing; and for that reason can be made year round!

What you'll need:

For the Cupcakes -
1 cup stout (Guinness) (coffee also works perfectly! I used a fres
h cup from Wegmans!)
2 sticks butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all purpose flour

2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Cupcake Ganache Filling:
(You do not have to fill your cupcakes, however I did and it added such a nice flavor to the cake)
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 T butter, room temperature
1-2 t Irish whiskey (optional - I left this step out)

*You will need either a 1-inch round cookie cutter, or an apple corer, and a piping bag to insert the ganache filling.

Bailey's Frosting:

3-4 cups confectioners sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2-3 T Bailey's (or milk, or heavy cream, or a combination)

First, make the cupcakes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with 24 liners. Mix 1 cup stout (or coffee) with 1 cup butter in a medium sized saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Next, add cocoa powder to beer mixture and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool.

Next, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate large bowl, beat eggs and sour cream with an electric mixer. Next, add the slightly cooled stout/coffee-chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and beat to combine.


Slowly add in the flour mixture, and beat on a slow speed. Use a rubber spatula to fold batter until it is completely mixed. Fill the cupcake liners approximately 2/3-3/4 of the way. Bake 17 minutes, and cool cupcakes on a rack completely. I actually placed my cupcakes on a rack, and placed them in the refrigerator for approximately 15 minutes.

Now, make the ganache filling. Chop the chocolate into small pieces, and place in a heatproof bowl. Bring the heavy cream to simmer and pour in the chopped chocolate. Allow it to sit for one minute, and stir the mixture until it is smooth. If the chocolate is not completely melted you can place the mixture in the microwave for 20 seconds.

After the mixture is smooth and melted, add butter and whiskey (if
you are using it) and stir until smooth. Let the ganache cool until it is thick enough to be piped into the cupcakes.

Now you get to fill the cupcakes!

This was probably my favorite part of making this recipe. I used an apple corer that was slightly bigger than an inch, but it will worked out perfectly. Using an apple corer or a cookie cutter, cut the centers out of the cooled cupcakes. Push the apple corer approximately 2/3 of the way into the cupcake, but make sure to not cut through the bottom. Remove the centers from each cupcake and using a piping bag with a wide tip, fill the holes in each cupcake to the top:


Once the cupcakes are filled, it is time to make the frosting. Whip butter with an electric mixer until it is very light and fluffy; this takes approximately four minutes using a hand mixer. Next, add the powdered sugar very slowly - only a few tablespoons at a time. When the frosting appears thick enough to spread, add in the Bailey's and blend until combined.

Frost each cupcake and top with chocolate shavings. Enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. how much sugar? I think you accidentally omitted the sugar for the cupcake batter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for catching that! It should be 2 cups of sugar and is now corrected.

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good! I always associate Bailey's with the holiday, so this would be perfect this time of year. I love that you are sisters blogging together. How fun to share in your passion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds SO Amazing! I'm all for mixing booze with my baking!

    Found you guys on Foodblogs.com, I just added my blog today :)

    xo
    Candice
    www.theoldladyatheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing! Love the richness the coffee adds!

    (I used a melon baller to take out the centers for filling)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to make these for my husband's birthday party. Can I make them a Day or two in advance or are they better eaten the same day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there -

      This recipe was posted by my former co-blogger, so I'm not speaking from personal experience with these cupcakes. I think that most cupcakes (especially homemade ones) are best served the day you make them. However, I'm sure they would still be very delicious if you made them the night before. I probably wouldn't do two days in advance. I would store these in the refrigerator, and bring them to room temperature an hour before serving.

      Hope you enjoy, and happy birthday to your husband!

      - Maggie

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio