Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Bars

Pumpkin Pie Bars
Posted by: Maggie

I have been waiting to make these
pumpkin bars over a month now. Sister/co-blogger Annie made them when I was visiting NJ early in October, and I've been dying to make a batch of my own since then.


Sadly, the Great Canned Pumpkin Shortage of 2009 has prohibited me from making these delicious treats until last week. My area of Virginia seems to be the last place that finally got pumpkin restocked, and when I saw the beautiful pallets of Libby's pumpkin at the grocery store last week I snatched a couple, abandoned my grocery cart, and mowed down several old ladies while running to the register with my treasure. Ok, not really, but I was irrationally excited. You would be too if you knew how delicious this recipe was and had to wait 6 weeks to make your own batch.

Here is the recipe: 1 1/3 c flour
3/4 c granulated sugar, divided

1/2 c packed brown sugar

3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) cold butter

1 c old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats, uncooked

1/2 c chopped walnuts*
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

3 eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 T. pumpkin pie spice

1 t. vanilla extract

2 t bourbon (optional, I did not use it)

handful of butterscotch, white, or chocolate chips for sprinkling on top


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 inch pan with foil, with ends of foil hanging over the sides, grease with cooking spray.


Mix flour, 1/4 c granulated sugar, and brown sugar in medium bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in oats and nuts.
Reserve 1 c oat mixture; press the rest of it onto bottom of prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.

Beat cream cheese, remaining sugar, eggs, vanilla, bourbon, pumpkin, and spice with mixer until well blended. Pour over crust; sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and chips (if desired).
Bake for 25 minutes, and let cool in pan for 10. Use foil to transfer dessert from pan to wire rack; cool completely.

*my grocery store had a variety called "finely diced walnuts" that I used. The chopped walnuts looked way too big to use in a crust, so if you get that type I would strongly recommend pulsing them in a food processor a few times before adding to the recipe. 


Source: Joy the Baker via We Are Not Martha 

3 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog and I love it! These pumpkin pie bars look great. I love pumpkin pie and well, really anything pumpkin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THESE LOOK AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These look so delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe - I can't wait to try it!
    Greetings from north of the Arctic Circle!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio