Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Posted by: Maggie

I decided to make Alton Brown's "The Chewy" chocolate chip cookie to take to coworkers tomorrow. I've always used my heavily doctored version of the Tollhouse recipe when making chocolate chip cookies in the past, which like Alton's recipe involves melting the butter instead of softening it. I definitely think it's the key to a chewy cookie. I've had this particular recipe bookmarked for quite some time now, and kept seeing it on various blogs. I figured it was time to give it a test run and I was not disappointed!

Thourougly chilling the dough (at least two hours) and letting the baking sheet cool between batches is key to these cookies coming out correctly.

What you'll need:

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 c bread flour

1 t kosher salt (I used regular)
1 t baking powder
1/4 c sugar
1 1/4 c brown sugar (I used light brown, I think it makes a prettier cookie)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 T milk
1 1/2 t vanilla extract
2 c chocolate chips (I used chunks, and probably put in about 3 cups)

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter until completely liquefied (about a minute in the microwave). Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in large bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough at least two hours, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 9 minutes or until golden brown. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio