Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tzatziki Sauce



Posted by: Maggie

Let me preface this recipe with a disclaimer: I am no expert on Greek food. My experience with tzatziki sauce is limited to the occasional gyro or falafel I get from the food court or deli near my office - experiences which I doubt have left me with an authentic experience.

I will say however, this sauce is delicious and super healthy whether it's authentic or not. There is no source listed because I threw this together myself - if I had the ingredients technically dill and lemon juice should be included as well.

My lunch tomorrow will consist of a pita or two slathered with this stuff and hummus (store bought - I'll post a homemade recipe someday). Make sure you get Greek yogurt, and squeeze the heck out of your cucumbers with a paper towel, otherwise the sauce will be too runny.

What you'll need:



1/2 large cucumber, seeded, diced, and squeezed
1 t extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed and finely minced
8 oz non-fat Greek yogurt
salt, to taste

Mix all ingredients together, and let chill overnight for flavors to meld. Eat with a spoon, or serve with pita, crackers, or vegetables.



4 comments:

  1. Just tried this sauce today and its really good! I added a little bit of lemon juice to mine and its amazing with pita chips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you make to much can you freeze this sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried, but I don't think anything yogurt-based would freeze well.

      Delete
  3. If you there is left over sauce can you freeze it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio