Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas with Chipotle Crema

Posted by: Maggie


Unless Mexicans have started stuffing their enchiladas with grocery store rotisserie chicken, ranch dressing, and jarred salsa, these are probably the most inauthentic enchiladas you could possibly make. That being said, their deliciousness more than compensates for their lack of authenticity.

I usually hate leftovers, but I'm traveling out of the country next weekend for work, and want to save as much disposable income as possible to use on my trip. Therefore, I decided to make something inexpensive, that would actually taste good reheated, and would prevent me from succumbing to the expensive allure of restaurant food near my office.

I adapted the enchilada recipe from one of my favorite blogs Annie's Eats, and the chipotle crema recipe from Emeril. (For the record, I've had the tortilla soup from the Emeril link that the chipotle crema is supposed to accompany - it is AWESOME). I like a lot of spice, so if you prefer a milder sauce cut back on the amount of chipotles you use in the crema recipe below.

What you'll need:

Enchiladas:

1 1/2 store bought rotisserie chickens, meat pulled off and shredded (I used 1 1/2, but this is really dependent on your tastes. I would suggest pulling the meat off one and seeing if it's enough once mixed with the sauce, or just using 4-6 cooked chicken breasts)
1 cup sour cream, divided
1 cup ranch dressing, divided
flour tortillas (I bought the burrito size Mission brand, that come 8 to a pack, and ended up having enough filling for 7 overstuffed burritos)
Salsa
4 cups shredded Mexican cheese

Chipotle Crema:

1/2 cup sour cream
2 chipotles from a can of chipotle in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon of the liquid
salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 375, and spray a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup ranch dressing. In a small bowl, combine the remainder of the sour cream and ranch dressing. Stir both bowls until well combined.

Mix shredded chicken into the large bowl containing the sour cream mixture.

Now, it's time to assemble your enchiladas. Spread about a tablespoon of the sour cream mixture from the small bowl onto a tortilla. Top with a scoop of the chicken mixture, salsa, and cheese (I used a good handful for each). Roll up and place seam side down into the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients, and bake uncovered in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.

While they're cooking, combine chipotles, sour cream, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the chipotles are pureed.

After enchiladas are cooked, top with chipotle crema, sour cream, guacamole, more salsa - whatever you desire!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe was amazing! Made it a couple weeks ago, and now I have the urge to make it again today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio