Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sloppy Joes



Posted by: Maggie
The Pioneer Woman's recipes truly never fail me. I wanted something quick and easy when I made dinner last night for my boyfriend and I, and this delivered. I don't think I'll ever go back to Manwich after realizing how easy it is to make Sloppy Joes homemade.

This recipe makes a TON of sandwich filling, but it's delicious heated up the next day - and this is coming from someone who typically turns up her nose at leftovers. Between my boyfriend and I we've already had 5 large sandwiches out of the batch, and I think we're going to run out of buns far before we run out of meat.

Here's what you'll need:

2 T butter
2 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 cup water
2 T packed brown sugar
2 t chili powder
1 t dry mustard
1/2 t dried red pepper flakes
Worcestershire sauce to taste (I probably used about a tablespoon)
2 T tomato paste
Tabasco sauce (optional, to taste - I used about 3 shakes)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Kaiser rolls


Add butter to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard.
Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft.
Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and Tabasco if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Spoon mixture over kaiser rolls and enjoy. We had these with coleslaw and potato salad picked up from the deli at Whole Foods.

3 comments:

  1. Thoughts on whether or not this works with ground turkey instead? we made some sloppy joes the other night with the canned sloppy joe stuff and it left A LOT to be desired. this recipe looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace! Personally, I'm not a huge fan of ground turkey, so I might not be the best person to ask. I'm usually the other way around - subbing in ground beef when recipes call for ground turkey :)

      I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work here though. Let me know how it turns out if you try! This is a huge step up from canned sloppy joe mix!

      Delete
    2. definitely will do!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio