Saturday, September 18, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes



Posted by: Maggie

A few hours from now I'll be participating in Cupcake Camp DC! After much deliberation over what recipe to make, I settled on these dark chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter buttercream from Brown Eyed Baker.

I did a test run of them on Thursday night and gave them away to my coworkers. I received VERY positive reviews, and two coworkers didn't believe I made them myself, which makes me feel a bit more confident about going up against more experienced bakers today!

I had a bit of trouble finding Dutch processed cocoa for this recipe, but was finally able to track it down at Whole Foods (don't bother with Harris Teeter or Shoppers).

Here's what you'll need: (I doubled this - amounts below yield a dozen)

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
½ cup (1.5 ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
¾ cup (3.75 ounces) all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
¾ cup (5.25 ounces) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon table salt
½ cup (4 ounces) sour cream

Adjust oven rack to the lower middle position, and preheat to 350 degrees (325 if using a non-stick muffin tin). Line muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.

Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in a microwaveable bowl. In 30 second increments on 50% power melt until smooth and combined. Set aside to cool.

Whisk flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a small bowl.

Beat eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt until fully incorporated. Beat in cooled chocolate mixture until combined. Sift about one-third of flour mixture over chocolate mixture and beat on lowest setting until just combined. Beat in sour cream until incorporated, and then add the remaining flour mixture. Do not over mix!

Divide batter evenly among baking cups, and bake 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting Recipe:

1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Beat the first 5 ingredients on medium low speed until creamy. Add the heavy cream, and beat on high speed until mixture is smooth. I used a 1M star tip to frost mine.




1 comment:

  1. These cupcakes looked delicious at cupcakecamp, sorry I wasn't able to try them! I heard great reviews about them.

    If you write up CupcakeCampDC, let me know and I'll link to it from the official site.

    xoxo,
    Nicole (CupcakeCampDC organizer)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio