Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pumpkin Butterscotch Blondies


Posted by: Maggie

Le sigh.  Washington, DC is still repulsively hot and humid, despite the fact that it's almost October.  I've put off baking with pumpkin for a couple weeks now, hoping to have more autumn like temperatures to match my baking, to no avail. 

The unfortunate side effect of this pumpkin procrastination turned out to be an astronomically large folder full of "favorites" saved from various blogs with one common theme: PUMPKIN.  I knew I couldn't wait any longer, so when I got home tonight I pushed the memories of my sweaty day aside and forged ahead on these delicious blondies.

These are more cakey than your typical blondie or brownie recipe, but still super delicious!

Here's what you'll need:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat the oven to 350° F.  Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with foil.  In a medium bowl, combine the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt.  Stir together and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.  Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.  Mix in the pumpkin puree.  With the mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.  Fold in the white chocolate and butterscotch chips with a rubber spatula.

Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.  Bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs, about 35-40 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely before cutting.

To serve, lift the cake from the pan using the foil and transfer to a cutting board.  Peel off the foil and using a sharp knife, cut into 24 squares.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are so cute! I found you at the Tasty Kitchen, and it brought me to your blog. I am so excited that you are as obsessed with pumpkin as I am, and I look forward to your arsenal of recipes this fall. I am dying over the pumpkin blondies. I am going to have to make those very soon!!!
    xo, Heather Christo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio