Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Snickerdoodles



Posted by: Maggie


I've had a few baking failures lately.

First there was cornbread a few weeks ago, which I made to go with a batch of black bean soup that I never posted on here.

Then I attempted to make "Redskins Red-Velvet Cupcakes" for Jeff, which I envisioned as red velvet cupcakes with gold cream cheese frosting and these doodads on top. I neglected to buy plain cupcake wrappers, so after mixing the batter up had the genius idea to spray the muffin tin with Pam. Don't do this. It stains your cupcakes brown. Also, since the recipe I used neglected to indicate how many cupcakes it yielded, I eyeballed the batter. That was mistake number two. It was a mess. I should have taken a photo but it was too shameful. I tasted the ugly cupcakes and the cake wasn't even very good, so I blame the author of the recipe for 50% of that debacle.

My most recent baking disaster was on Saturday night when I was staying in and watching tv with Jeff. We were watching some show about cakes, and I got the itch to bake. I'm running low on staples at the moment, and realized I had enough ingredients to make Snickerdoodles. I mixed up the cookies, and...I think you know where this is going. Jeff was kind enough to eat 4 of them, but he also referred to them as Frisbees since they were so flat and spread out.

Now comes the process of correcting (with new recipes) these recent failures. I made Snickerdoodles again last night using my favorite sugar cookie recipe, and they turned out delicious. The cinnamon flavor is really perfect for fall, and they made my kitchen smell amazing.

Here's what you'll need:

(yields about 50 small cookies)

1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 cup butter
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

For rolling: 1 part cinnamon to 3 parts sugar (you'll want about 1/4 -1/3 cup mixture total)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cream together sugar and butter, and beat in egg yolks and vanilla.

Mix together dry ingredients in a medium bowl, and stir into wet ingredients until combined.

Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour. After dough has chilled, roll into 1 inch balls, and lightly coat in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake for 7 minutes, or until top of cookie has just started to crack. Let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes, and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

1 comment:

  1. Finally had a chance to try this recipe. So good! I might cut a little of the sugar next time. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio