Sunday, October 10, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies


Posted by: Maggie

Thanks to my love for pumpkin, another key fall flavor has been unfairly neglected here on A Bitchin' Kitchen.  I decided to bake something with apple to help make our quickly growing collection of fall recipes more well rounded.

While browsing through the archives of one of my favorite baking blogs - Visions of Sugar Plum, I came across the recipe for Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Butterscotch cookies, and immediately knew it was the fall recipe I was looking for. 

I was a bit worried about finding dried apples, but I was able to track them down in the baking aisle at Harris Teeter (not with the raisins, or the other dried fruits in produce as I had originally suspected).  Funny story, while at the grocery store picking up ingredients for these cookies, I knocked over an economy sized glass jar of applesauce, broke it, and then ran away from the scene of the crime.  Who does that? It's like I immediately regressed to being a 5 year old and was afraid of telling an employee that I made a mess.  I feel like I should send them a batch of these delicious cookies to apologize.

Here's what you'll need:

1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup apple sauce (I used sweetened)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup finely chopped dried apples

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and then stir in oats.

In a large bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, and applesauce on medium speed until creamy.  Add in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce mixer speed to low, and beat in oat mixture.  Stir in pecans, butterscotch, and apples until combined.

Drop heaping teaspoons of dough onto cookie sheets about an inch apart.  Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute on cookie sheets, and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. 

*Note - I almost always chill cookie dough for 30 minutes or so before baking, but I found it to be unnecessary with these.  They don't spread much at all, and I ended up rolling the dough into small balls and slightly flattening them to get a nicely shaped cookie. 

6 comments:

  1. Just the recipe I've been searching for. You're an asbolute blessing for post this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try these. Such a nice change from my usual chocolate chip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would happen if we used fresh apples? Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noelle!

      I'm not totally sure since I haven't tried it. My two concerns with trying it would be that a) the moisture from fresh apples could make the cookies soggy and/or mushy, or b) the apples would stay kind of crisp and not get tender like they do in apple pie...which is baked for much longer. Sooo, basically 2 opposite scenarios that are both bad scenarios.

      What do I know though? Maybe it would be delicious :)

      If you try it let me know!

      Delete
  4. I came up with a very similar recipe to this today, simply because I had all the ingredients in the house and really wanted to try the butterscotch chips. I used two mini-apples chopped finely and they came out great! Not too moist at all and the apples softened up after 10 mins.

    I think I just found my entry for my cookie swap already! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Good to know it will work with fresh apples!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio