Sunday, October 3, 2010

Beef Enchiladas


Posted by: Maggie

One of the many great things about having Jeff in my life is that I feel more inclined to make labor intensive or time consuming recipes for dinner.   It never seems quite worth it to cook something that takes longer than 30 minutes when I'm the only one eating it.  Fortunately, Jeff is a willing guinea pig when it comes to my cooking endeavors.  I'm also fortunate that he's patient, since we did not start dinner on Friday until 8:50 since these (worth the wait) enchiladas took Sooooo. Stinkin'. Long.

This recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman's cookbook, which my lovely sister and co-blogger Annie gave to me for Christmas.  You can also find the recipe online here.

It's easy to adjust this recipe to your desired spiciness since it calls for canned green chilies and red sauce, both of which are usually available in mild, medium, or hot.  I used mild stuff, but ended up dousing my portion in Tabasco, so next time I make these I'll probably use spicier ingredients. 

Here's what you'll need:

For the sauce...
1 T canola oil
1 T all-purpose flour
1 can (28 oz) enchilada or Mexican red sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 T chopped cilantro

For the meat...
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 whole medium onion, finely diced
2 4 oz. cans diced green chilies
1/2 t salt

For the tortillas... 
10-14 corn tortillas
1/2 cup canola oil

For assembly...
3 cups grated cheddar
1/2 cup chopped black olives (I left these out because Jeff doesn't like olives, but I think they would be delicious if you use them!)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional, for garnish)

Step #1 – The Sauce
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil and flour and whisk together to make a paste, cooking for one minute. Pour in the red sauce, chicken broth, cilantro, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes.

Step #2 – The Meat
Brown the meat with onions in a skillet. Drain off fat. Stir in 2 cans diced green chilies and seasoned salt. Set aside.

Step #3 – Tortillas
Heat canola oil in a small skillet over medium heat. One by one, using tongs, fry tortillas in oil until soft, not crisp – about 30 seconds per side. Remove to a paper—towel lined plate. Repeat until all tortillas have been fried.

Step #4 – Assembly
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour ½ cup red sauce in bottom of baking pan. Spread to even out. Dip each tortilla into red sauce, then remove to work surface. Spoon meat, a little grated cheese, a little black olives (if using), and green onions in the center of tortilla. Roll up and place, seam down, in baking pan. Repeat until pan is filled. Pour extra red sauce over enchiladas. Top with remaining cheddar cheese.

Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, sprinkle cilantro over enchiladas before serving. Serve with sour cream and Mexican rice, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! These sound great! I think I need to pick up her cookbook. I've heard a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio