Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Black Bean Soup


Posted by: Maggie

A couple years ago for Christmas, my mom made me a recipe box as one of my gifts.  It included this simple and delicious black bean soup recipe that has become a staple in my kitchen.  Typically I'm not crazy about eating leftovers, but since soup is one of those rare foods that tastes better the second day, I'm sure I'll be getting a few lunches out of it this week.

I also mixed up some homemade cornbread and baked it while I was making the soup.  I mentioned last month that I'd baked a failure of a cornbread recipe, and needed to find a good one to make up for it.  I found an awesome recipe that I will be sharing tomorrow...get excited, it's that good.

Here's what you'll need for the soup:

2 T canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T cumin
1/4 t red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 (16 oz) cans black beans, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
16 oz jar hot salsa 
2 T lime juice

Heat canola oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Cook onion until tender. Add in spices, and saute until fragrant. Add in garlic and saute for one additional minutes. Remove from heat.

In a blender or food processor, puree two cans of the beans, with liquid.  Stir into saucepan.  Stir in remaining beans, salsa, broth, and lime juice.  Heat mixture to a boil over medium to medium high heat, stirring frequently.  Reduce heat to low, and simmer 30 minutes.  Adjust seasonings to taste if desired.

Printer-friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio