Thursday, October 14, 2010

Classic Hummus


Posted by: Maggie

Little known fact: the very person who posted this hot mess, and this yummyness, and this reason to go to the gym for eleventy billion hours straight, used to be a vegetarian.  I'm not going to tell the story of how and why I became a vegetarian, because although I have the utmost respect for people who can maintain that lifestyle, I would never wish a bacon-free fate upon anyone.  And, if I tell you the reasons that led me to my several year long, self-imposed hiatus from meat, you may become a vegetarian yourself.  They're that compelling.  Trust me.

Anyway, I may no longer eat sad cheese sandwiches for lunch, or claim that tofu hot dogs are as tasty as the real thing, but one food item has stuck with me since I first tried it as a difficult 16-year old vegetarian back in 2000.  Hummus.  I actually remember my mom bringing home what can only be described as a hummus and pita "snack pack", and falling in love with the delicious garlicky substance.  She was probably just trying to find a way for me to get protein from a food other than cheese, but she ended up introducing me to one of my favorite foods on the planet.

Up until last night, I never made hummus on my own.  But now that I've realized how simple it is (and paid $8 for a jar of tahini I'm determined to use up) I'll surely be making it again.  I see a red pepper, or an eggplant version on the horizon.

Now, onto the recipe.  Serve this with baby carrots, pita bread, or pita chips.  Or just dip your fist into the bowl and lick it off.

Here's what you'll need to yield approximately 2 cups:

3 T lemon juice
1/4 c water (plus more to thin out hummus to desired consistency)
6 T tahini, stirred well
2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1-2 minced garlic cloves (I used the minced, jarred garlic - about 1.5 t)
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
Parsley, for garnish

Combine lemon juice and water in a small bowl.  In a separate small bowl, mix together tahini and oil.

Process chickpeas, garlic, salt, cumin and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds.  Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl, and add lemon/water mixture.  Process for 1 minute.  Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl again, and add tahini/oil mixture.  Process for 15 seconds.  Give it a taste, and add more seasoning if needed, or water to thin to your desired consistency (I added about 3 extra tablespoons of water).  If you added more seasoning or water, continue to process until creamy.  

Transfer to a serving bowl, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors meld.   

Adapted from Annie's Eats

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to make hummus for years! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio