Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mexican Chicken Casserole

Posted by: Annie

I pretty much love anything that you can top with guacamole. Sometimes when I am in restaurants I actually order dishes based on whether or not they are served with a side of "guac". I made this dish because I really wanted to eat the guacamole that was sitting in my fridge calling my name. In retrospect, I realized I could have just enjoyed the guacamole with a handful of chips, however my obsession with the avocado goodness led me to cook and discover a new favorite - Mexican Chicken Casserole. I served up this Mexican inspired dish with loads of guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. 

What you will need:
1 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
2 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chiles
1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup evaporated fat free milk
1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
1/4 cup light cream cheese
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
12 (6 inch) tortillas
cooking spray
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 oz tortilla chips, crushed (about six chips)

Combine the chicken broth and one can of chiles in a large skillet. Bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. (flip the chicken once during this process) Remove the chicken from the broth and set aside the cooking liquid. Once the chicken cools, use two forks to shred the meat.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Mix in the remaining can of chiles and the chopped onion. Saute until soft. Mix in the reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce, stir well. Add in the shredded chicken and cook for an additional two minutes. Remove the mixture from heat.

Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer four tortillas on the bottom of the dish and spoon 2 cups of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Repeat this step two more times- the final layer will be the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips. Bake for thirty minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio