Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Spinach and Ricotta Rotini


Posted by: Maggie

This is a pasta dish that I make fairly regularly, but finally got around to photographing and writing up last night.  It's a great weeknight dish since it takes about 30 minutes total from start to finish.

I adapted the recipe from a Weight Watchers cookbook I've had for years.  The recipe says it serves 4, but it really serves 2 if your appetite is more hearty than that of a goldfish.  Don't let the fact that it's a Weight Watchers recipe deter you from trying it - it's quite flavorful, not to mention filling thanks to the fiber packed spinach and whole wheat pasta.  (No they're not paying me to say this, I just really love this pasta!)

Lastly, give the raisins a chance.  I thought they were going to be weird the first time I made this too, but they're very tasty.  According to the cookbook, spinach, ricotta, and raisins are a classic combination in Sicily and southern Italy.  I don't know anything about that, I'm just repeating what the cookbook tells me!

P.S.  Happy birthday to my fabulous sister and co-blogger Annie!!! It's been a delightful 23 years and I'm so proud to call you my sister and friend!

Weren't we cute?!


Now, back to the pasta...here's what you'll need:

2 T golden raisins
2 cups whole wheat rotini
1 (10 oz) box frozen chopped spinach
4 t olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 t salt
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 t pepper

In a small bowl, soak the raisins in hot water until soft and plumped, about 10 minutes.  Drain and discard water.

Cook the rotini according to package directions.  Drain and place in serving bowl.

Meanwhile, cook the spinach according to package directions (I did this in the microwave).  After it has completed cooking, drain and squeeze out the excess liquid.

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.  Saute the onion until softened, about 2 minutes.  Reduce the heat and stir in the cooked spinach and salt.  Cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.  Add the spinach, raisins, Parmesan, and ricotta to the rotini.

Toss to combine, then sprinkle with the pepper.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I bought all the ingredients for it then couldn't find it on weightwatchers.com. SO happy to find it here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio