Monday, November 8, 2010

Caramelized Onion Horseradish Dip

Posted by: Maggie

I have been wanting to make this dip from Vanilla Sugar's blog for quite a while now, but it kept getting pushed to the back burner for one reason or another.  Now, after devouring almost half the batch of dip I made, I could kick myself for putting it off this long.  I've always dipped my sweet potato fries in ketchup or mayonnaise, but neither of those on their own provided the exact taste I was looking for.  This dip is perfect, and best of all doesn't overpower the delicious taste of the fry itself. 

It was the perfect accompaniment to my lazy Sunday afternoon.  I made this dip in the morning, and after it had time to chill, I popped some Alexia's Spicy Sweet Potato Fries in the oven for 20 minutes,  and hunkered down with my delicious late lunch and the first Harry Potter movie for the next couple hours.

This dip is easily adapted to your own tastes - I made it with the amounts I've indicated below, and ended up adding about a tablespoon more each of mayo, sour cream, and horseradish.  I would have liked to include a larger quantity of the caramelized onions, but due to a burning incident I could only salvage one tablespoon of edible onions.  Feel free to add more!

Here's what you'll need:

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1 T horseradish
4 dashes of tabasco sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 T pureed caramelized onions
Cayenne pepper and chili powder to taste (I started with a few shakes of each and worked my way up from there)

Mix everything together and chill for at least 3 hours.  Serve with sweet potato fries, or cut up vegetables.

Adapted from: Vanilla Sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio