Saturday, November 6, 2010

Linguine with Shrimp Scampi


Posted by: Maggie

Remember the Beef Enchilada debacle where Jeff and I did not eat dinner until 8:50 p.m. one Friday evening? After that, I realized that I needed to have some more recipes in my arsenal with a quicker prep and cooking time, and save the more time consuming stuff for Saturdays and Sundays. I decided that Barefoot Contessa's Shrimp Scampi perfectly fit the bill, and was quite pleased with the results. 

Two reasons why I chose her recipe:

- Ina Garten's recipes always seem to get fabulous reviews on FoodNetwork.com (rightfully deserved)

- Her recipe didn't have wine in it (A lot of Shrimp Scampi recipes included wine, but Jeff isn't a fan, and I'd personally rather drink it than waste it on food.)

I served this with a big green salad that included red and orange peppers, red onion, cucumber, and croutons.  I love chopping vegetables, so this was way more fun for me than it probably should have been. I've been told it's uncouth to squirt blue cheese dressing directly into my mouth, so this was the perfect vehicle for eating it in a more ladylike fashion.

I also made some easy garlic bread, which I won't bother doing a separate post for.  Just slice up a loaf of Italian bread, and brush melted butter on one side.  Sprinkle with garlic salt, dried herbs of your choice (I think I used basil and oregano), and stick it under the broiler until brown.  There ya go, instant Texas Toast.  I love the frozen packaged kind as much as the next girl, but you can avoid some of the mystery ingredients if you do it yourself.

For dessert I picked up two mini cannoli from Whole Foods - not as good as the ones from Wegman's, but we still enjoyed them!

Here's what you'll need for the shrimp scampi:

Vegetable oil
1 T Salt, plus 1.5 t salt
3/4 lb linguine
3 T unsalted butter
2.5 T Olive Oil
1.5 T minced garlic (I used the jarred stuff, but if you have cloves it's about 4)
16-20 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, rinsed, and dried
1/4 t pepper
1/3 c chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 lemon, zest grated
1/4 c freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/8 t hot red pepper flakes
Extra olive oil
Parmesan cheese

In a large pot of boiling water, drizzle a small amount of vegetable oil, then add 1 T salt and the linguine.  Cook according to package directions.

Meanwhile in a large deep skillet, melt the butter and olive oil on medium-low heat.  Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.  Add the shrimp, 1.5 teaspoons salt, and pepper, and saute for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently until shrimp are pink and opaque.  Remove from the heat and add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes.  Toss to combine.

When pasta is done, drain the linguine and put it back in the pot.  Ina Garten's recipe didn't call for it, but I added about 1/3 cup of olive oil at this point because I didn't think the lemon butter sauce the shrimp cooked in would adequately coat the pasta.  You'll want to eyeball it to see if you need it - I prefer a more heavily sauced pasta. Add the shrimp and sauce and toss to combine. 

This was so good that Jeff and I ate almost all of it last night, but the original recipe says it serves 3.

Adapted from: FoodNetwork

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio