Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Posted by: Maggie

I have a confession to make.

I really only developed an interest in cooking and baking when I moved into my own apartment back in March 2008, and had my very own kitchen to use as I saw fit.  Before that, I was all about cookie and brownie mixes, and pasta and jarred sauce for dinner.  Back in early 2007, I was at my first job out of college,  and I decided to bring in a treat for my coworkers one day.

I bought a couple pouches of oatmeal chocolate chip cookie mix, the kind where you just add an egg or two and vegetable oil, and raked in the compliments the next day at work as my coworkers devoured them.  As it tends to happen when someone bakes, early on that day one of the higher-ups at the office asked if the cookies were homemade.  I lied, "yes", and added "find a homemade recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies" to my mental to-do list.

At that time, my main impetus to find a homemade recipe was in the event that I got asked for the recipe I used - I wanted to be prepared to back up my blatant lie.

Now, it's over three and a half years later, and I've finally actually made these suckers from scratch.

Here's what you will need:

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 1/4 c packed brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 T milk
2 t vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups oats
2 cups chocolate chunks (or chips)
1 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.  Beat the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large bowl until creamy.  Add in eggs, milk, and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture until just incorporated.  Stir in oats, chocolate, and nuts.

Chill dough for 30 minutes, and drop by rounded tablespoon onto cookie sheet.  Bake for 8 minutes, or until brown around the edges and slightly undercooked in the middle (they will continue to cook once out of the oven).  Let cool on baking sheets for one minute, and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Adapted from: Very Best Baking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio