Monday, November 22, 2010

How to Cook Roasted Asparagus

How to Cook Roasted Asparagus

Posted by: Maggie

I feel a little silly posting this recipe, but back when I first started to cook I seriously had no idea how to do very basic things in the kitchen.  When I tried to cook stuff for myself, I literally googled things like "how to bake a potato" and "how to hard boil an egg." If you haven't spent a lot of time in the kitchen, really how are you supposed to know how long and at what temperature to cook some simple items? 

Hopefully this will be useful to someone just beginning to cook, who is looking for a delicious and healthy way to prepare asparagus.  This would also make a great Thanksgiving side dish, to balance out some of the heavier sides like candied sweet potatoes and stuffing.

What you'll need:

1 bunch of asparagus (washed and dried thoroughly, with ends snapped off - bend the spear in the middle until it snaps easily, about 2-3 inches above bottom)
1-2 T extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spread asparagus in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and toss with your hands to coat.  Generously season with kosher salt and pepper, and stick in the oven for 10 minutes.

The spears are delicious served hot, or cold from the fridge.

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I had no idea how to do simple things either when I first started cooking. Mine was mandatory as I was working at a group home where I had to cook. I remember my boss asking me to make mashed potatoes and I just started at her. She broke it down and asked me to peel the potatoes. I didn't have a clue how to do that and I'm now wondering why my mom never taught me any of that stuff! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcie! That's too funny about the mashed potatoes.

      Delete
  2. OMG it's 109 here today, but these look so delish...I can't help but fire up the oven. Thanks Maggie!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio