Sunday, December 5, 2010

Gingerbread Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting


Posted by: Maggie

I can't believe Thanksgiving was 10 days ago and I'm just finally putting up a Christmas recipe now!  Christmas is hands down my favorite time of the year.  I love the cold weather, pretty decorations, holiday baking, and everything else that goes along with the month of December.

Not to mention the Christmas music.  Thank goodness I live alone because I have listened to nothing but Christmas songs for the past week:


I made these on Friday before Jeff came over since he's always willing to be a guinea pig for my cooking.  It's Saturday afternoon as I write this and he's had 3 so far, so I think he approves!  They are moist and extremely flavorful - I will definitely be making this again.    

Jeff wanted me to take the cupcake picture in front of the Christmas tree instead of in front of my sunroom window.  My camera is a piece of junk so I try and take pics over there and at least get decent lighting, but I decided to take his suggestion as well.  It turned out dark and blurry, but purty! 


I adapted this recipe from Baked by Rachel.  I discovered her blog on Tastespotting when looking for a gingerbread cupcake recipe, and liked the look of her recipe best.  She topped hers with mini-gingerbread men which is a super cute alternative to sprinkles! The cinnamon cream cheese frosting comes from the site My Baking Addiction.  The recipe makes a LOT of frosting (I have about 2 cups leftover in my fridge and I frost my cupcakes very heavily).  You may want to cut it in half if you frost your cupcakes lighter and don't have a purpose for leftover frosting.

Here is what you will need:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup molasses
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees, and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.  In a medium sized bowl, cream together your softened butter and sugar.  Add in flour, water, and molasses.  Mix well until combined, and add in egg, baking soda, and spices.  Continue to mix until just combined. 

Using a large cookie scoop, evenly fill your cupcake pan.  Don't worry if they don't look very full - these cupcakes rise quite a bit.  

Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.  Let cool completely before frosting.  Makes 12 cupcakes. 

Frosting recipe:

2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
2 lbs (2 boxes) confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 t vanilla extract

Cream butter and cream cheese together in an electric mixer until well combined.  Gradually add in the sugar until fully incorporated.  Finally mix in cinnamon and vanilla.  I used a Wilton 1M tip to frost these.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you liked them. I love your addition of the cinnamon frosting. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good. I am going to make them very soon. Nothing better than smell and taste of cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio