Wednesday, December 29, 2010

White Fish Tacos

fish tacos

Posted by: Maggie

So, is anyone else desperately in need of some light and healthy food after Christmas?

I could not bear to eat one more heavy, fried, or cheese-laden meal, and decided these white fish tacos from Annie's Eats would satisfy my desire for something healthy, yet flavorful.

These tacos were a cinch to put together.  All you do is whip up a quick marinade for the fish, and while it's soaking up the marinade you make a cilantro cream sauce (that I may have consumed half of with a spoon) and chop some veggies.

One of my favorite DC restaurants, Ceiba, has fish tacos on their happy hour menu that I crave at least once a week.  These aren't quite the same - Ceiba's fish is breaded, and they serve the tacos with an unidentifiable but delicious sauce, but I'm glad I can make something comparable at home now!

P.S. This is the first food photo I've taken with my new Canon Rebel XS! I'm bummed that I had no daylight when I took the photo, but I think the clarity is pretty good, huh? I have no morning light in my apartment, and when I get home from work it's already dark out.  I can't wait to make something on the weekend to see how the camera does when I'm able to take pictures with natural light. 

Here is what you will need:

For the fish...
2 T freshly squeezed lime juice
3 T Extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 T minced cilantro
1/4 t cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 6 oz halibut fillets (make sure to remove any pin bones!)
Salt


For the sauce...
Juice of 1 lime
2 T minced cilantro
6 oz non-fat Greek yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced
Pepper, to taste


For topping and serving...
Chopped tomatoes
Shredded purple cabbage
Green onions (I ended up not using these since the ones I picked up weren't in great condition.  The original recipe calls for them however, and I think they would add a nice pop of color.  I added some extra cilantro on top instead.)
Small flour tortillas

Mix together the lime juice, 2 T of the oil, cilantro, cumin, and garlic in a shallow dish.  Whisk together until well blended.  Place the fish in the marinade, and turn evenly coat.  Let marinate 15-30 minutes.

While the fish is marinating, prepare the cilantro cream sauce.  Mix together the lime, cilantro, yogurt, garlic, and pepper, and chill it in the fridge until you're ready to use it.

Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan.  Place the fish in the pan, and cook without disturbing for 3 minutes.  Carefully flip the fish, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.  Remove to a plate, season with salt, and let the fish rest for 3 minutes.  Shred the fish into bite-sized pieces with two forks.

Assemble the fish, cilantro cream sauce, and toppings in flour tortillas.  I got two large tacos out of this recipe (my tortillas were probably about 8 inches across.)

Source

4 comments:

  1. AMEN! I'm so glad somebody else is ready for lighter fare. Fish tacos are the best thing since chips and salsa. I understand about the cilantro cream sauce--I make a version of it, and I can never stop eating it. It's shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great, I usually fry a little cheese on the inside of my tortilla when I make fish tacos...totally takes away from the "healthy" idea...but it's delicious! I usually use mozzerella or whatever shredded cheese I have. All you do is sprinkle cheese on a hot, non-stick skillet, drop your tortilla (I use corn) on top of the cheese, move it around to pick up all the little cheese peices and just fry until brown. It makes a delightful cheesy crust. Fold the cheese side inward when you make your tacos so you don't get your fingers messy :)
    xo
    Candice
    www.theoldladyatheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm these look delish.. and your pic looks great too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio