Saturday, December 4, 2010

White Sausage Gravy

Posted by: Maggie

Last weekend when I was home for Thanksgiving, my mom made a delicious post-Thanksgiving brunch that included biscuits and sausage gravy.  The first time I ever attempted to make sausage gravy (before this blog ever started) it didn't turn out well.  I was inspired to attempt it again though, and I'm pleased to say that it turned out awesome.  

I used canned biscuits (Pillsbury I think...the can is already in the trash and I'm not going digging :) )

Here's what you'll need for the gravy:

1 12 ounce tube pork sausage
3 T unsalted butter (optional)
2 T all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
Salt and pepper

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the sausage, break up with a spoon, and cook for about 7 minutes or well browned and cooked through, stirring occasionally.

Transfer the sausage to a bowl using a slotted spoon, leaving the fat in the skillet.

The sausage I used did not render enough fat to make the gravy, so I melted 3 T of butter in the skillet before continuing with the gravy.

Add flour to fat/butter and cook for about 1 minute, whisking constantly. While whisking, pour the milk into the skillet and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer gently for about 2 minutes. Stir in the sausage and season with salt and pepper.

Serve over biscuits immediately. This makes enough to generously top 4 biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio