Sunday, January 23, 2011

Brownie Pudding


Posted by: Maggie

I have had this recipe bookmarked ever since I first saw it on Annie's Eats back in February.   I'm a big fan of brownie sundaes and lava cakes, and this looked like the perfect combination between the two.  I made it on Saturday night as the dessert to our baked ziti dinner.  Clearly it was a very healthy day.  Yes, this dessert is calorie and fat free.  You read it here first, folks.

Life tip: Don't go grocery shopping with your boyfriend when you're buying ingredients like vanilla beans.  He didn't comment, but I'm aware that $12 for two shriveled up pods seems insane to someone who mainly subsists off of Hot Pockets when he's not with me.  I prefer to only be silently judged by the checkout cashier for my frivolous purchases. 

½ lb. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the dish (Note: the recipe calls for unsalted, but next time I might use 1 stick salted, 1 stick unsalted - while the recipe is basically perfect as written, I think a touch of salt could make it even more perfect.)
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish.  Melt the 2 sticks of butter in the microwave, and set aside to cool.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together eggs and sugar on medium-high speed until thick, and light yellow in color.  Combine the flour and cocoa powder in a medium bowl, and whisk together until combined. 

Scrape out the contents of the vanilla bean, and add to the egg/sugar mixture. Gradually add the flour/cocoa mixture, and mix until just combined. Slowly pour in the melted butter and mix again until just combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.  Place the baking dish into a larger baking pan, and add very hot tap water to the larger pan creating a water bath, coming about halfway up the smaller baking dish.  Bake for 60 minutes - it will look under-baked, but that's the way it's supposed to be.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.

6 comments:

  1. I subscribed to your blog soley on the basis of this amazingly yummy looking post. ^_^ Based on your good taste, I look forward to future posts. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no frivolous purchase when food is involved. This looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, after reading your blog, I'm inspired...and hungry ;)
    xo
    Candice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, this gooey warm chocolate pudding looks to die for!
    I just made chocolate lava cakes 2 days ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you use unsweetened cocoa powder? I'm guessing yes since you're adding 2 cups of sugar... but just wanted to make sure ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anonymous - yes, unsweetened cocoa powder. I used Ghirardelli brand (I wanted a good brand since chocolate is the star of the recipe.) Sorry it wasn't clear!

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio