Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers


Posted by: Maggie

Happy New Year!

As much as I wanted to make red velvet cupcakes last night, it felt unnatural to have the first post of the New Year be something unhealthy.  Save for the cheese, this is a very nutritious dinner or lunch.  Protein and fiber come from the quinoa and beans, and of course all that goodness is stuffed into an entire vegetable.

This was actually my first time *ever* cooking quinoa.  I've only had it one other time before, and really enjoyed the chewy, nutty flavor.

When I was at the grocery store buying ingredients for this recipe, I was reading the various bags of quinoa and trying to decide between which to get, and I got hit on.  I have never been hit on at the grocery store in my life, despite people always saying that's where young people meet.  (What people, I cannot say.  I just hear things.)  He wouldn't stop talking about how he made quinoa last week, and how I should really buy a rice cooker, blah, blah, blah.    Unfortunately for him, I'm taken, so I hissed and ran away with my quinoa. 

Here is what you'll need for 4 peppers, and a good amount of leftover filling:

4 bell peppers (go with smallish ones that stand up easily.  I made 4 peppers in different colors, but the green one is the only one that would stand on it's own.)
2 T olive oil, divided use
1 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained well before use
1 1/2 cup veggie broth
1 1/2 cup water
1 can black refried beans
1 cup salsa
1 t cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the tops off peppers, and scoop out the insides.  Rub the insides and outside with one tablespoon olive oil.  Place cut side down in a pan, and roast for 15-20 minutes.  You can roast the tops too if you want them as garnish.

In a large, deep skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.  When the oil is hot, add the quinoa and toast for 1-2 minutes.  Add in broth and water.  When it begins to boil, reduce heat to medium low for 15-20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.

Meanwhile, mix beans, salsa, cumin, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.  Add cooked quinoa and stir to combine.  Reduce oven to 350 degrees, and stuff peppers with filling.

Sprinkle the cheese on top, and bake for 10 minutes.

Adapted from: Edible Perspective

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! I've never had quinoa before, so here's to trying new things :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio