Saturday, January 8, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes

red velvet cupcakes

Posted by: Maggie

Let me tell you, the universe did NOT want me to make red velvet cupcakes.  The problem started back in September, which you can read about here

Next, co-blogger Annie texted me saying that she was going to make red velvet cupcakes.  There isn't really any point in having two red velvet recipes on the blog, so I kind of scrapped the idea.

Then, I decided that I would go ahead and make them anyway, and that Annie and I could have a throw down of sorts.  Not that we could actually taste each others cupcakes being that we live three hours apart.

The next thing I know, Annie doesn't want to make them anymore because it's after Christmas (she was going to have a Christmas twist to hers) and I was in a post Christmas anti-sweets funk.

Then, on January 2nd I thought hey, why don't I finally make those cupcakes?

Nope, not happening, my eggs are expired.

Fast forward to January 3rd - I now have fresh eggs, but decided to cook something healthy to start off the new year instead.

I finally made these darn cupcakes on Thursday night.  And you know what? They were definitely worth the wait. 

This is the second recipe in a row we've posted by Brown Eyed Baker for a reason.  Everything she posts on her blog is awesome, and I have complete confidence that whatever I make from her site will work.  This is exactly what I look for in a red velvet cupcake - dark red, not that artificial pinky-red, a hint of chocolate taste, and a light, moist texture. 

This recipe makes a dozen cupcakes...most of which I decorated with a dollop of cream cheese frosting like you see above.  The normal ones will be brought to my coworkers.  This Redskin's themed version will be for Jeff.  I think the frosting looks like Velveeta, but it's really just the Wilton gel color in "golden yellow".  The decoration is from Fancy Flours.

Redskins cupcake:

redskins cupcakes

Here's what you will need:


For the cupcakes...

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons red food coloring
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar


For the frosting...

4 ounces butter, at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2½ cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin tin with paper liners.

On medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes.  Crank up the mixer to high and add your egg, beating until well incorporated.

In a separate small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, vanilla, and food coloring.  Stir until well combined, then add to the batter, mixing on medium speed until thoroughly combined.

Reduce the mixer to low, and add half the buttermilk.  Add half the flour and mix until combined.  Scrape the bowl and repeat the process with the remaining milk and flour. Beat on high just until smooth.

Reduce your mixer speed to low, and add the salt, baking soda, and vinegar.  Turn the mixer back up to high, and beat for a couple minutes until completely combined and smooth.

Divide the batter evenly in your pan, and bake for 18-20 minutes (mine took 18) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then remove to cool completely prior to frosting.

To make the frosting, whip the butter and cream cheese on high speed for about 5 minutes, scraping the bowl as necessary.  Reduce the speed to low, and gradually add in the powdered sugar until incorporated.  Add the vanilla and mix to combine.  Increase mixer speed to medium high, and whip for 2-3 minutes or until frosting is light and fluffy.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this recipe! I'm hosting a baby shower for my sis-in-law and we are doing a cupcake bar. This is definitely on my list to bake now :)
    xo
    Candice
    www.theoldladyatheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on the hunt for a good red velvet recipe!! Im so excited to try these! Thanks for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio