Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Spinach Quiche

spinach quiche

Posted by: Annie

January is honestly my least favorite month.  The holidays are over, and January just seems to drag on and on forever.  I am trying to make this month brighter by having something fun to look forward to every weekend.  On my list so far - celebrating five years together with my boyfriend (woah!), a trip to DC to celebrate my friend's 24th birthday, taking my last certification exam so I can complete my teaching license in PA (this is not really a highlight until I receive my passing scores ;) ), and finally in the last weekend of January seeing Avenue Q with my mom and sisters.  Now that I have my weekends planned with happy things, I will get through these long weekdays in January by cooking and baking more.  I started this week off with a much needed delicious and healthy spinach quiche

What you will need:

1 refrigerated pie crust
Non-stick cooking spray
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup Egg Beaters
1 cup skim milk
1 T flour
3/4 t hot sauce

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a pie dish with non-stick cooking spray and arrange the dough in the pie dish. Create a ridged effect along the rim of the pie dish by pinching the dough with your fingers around the top edge. Prick the sides of the pie crust with a fork to prevent air bubbles. Bake for five minutes until lightly browned; set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.


Spray a medium sized skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until tender. Add in spinach and mix well. Spoon the spinach mixture into the prepared pie crust.

In a large bowl combine egg beaters, milk, flour and hot sauce and mix until smooth. Pour over the spinach mixture. Cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent the crust from burning.

Bake 50 minutes or until a knife entered in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then cut into six slices.

Source

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your anniversary! That's an amazing--and pensive!--milestone to cross. Let us know how Avenue Q is; I hear it's hysterical.

    And as for the quiche, my body has been dying for lighter fare, and this certainly fits the bill. I wonder if I can nix the crust and just make it a frittata? Either way, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! :) I have been dying to see Avenue Q for a long time so I am very excited and will definitely share how it was!

    I think it absolutely would taste awesome as a frittata! good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, this looks a lot like my spinach quiche recipe except mine has cheese and no hot sauce. I'll have try adding some hot sauce next time.

    Congrats on 5 years together!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio