Monday, January 17, 2011

White Chocolate Cranberry Blondies


Posted by: Maggie

I know, I know.  I really should have made these a month ago, and posted them before Christmas.  The fact is, I was way too busy eating the very similar Starbucks' Cranberry Bliss Bars to even bother making a copycat version.  Unfortunately, Starbucks' version is only available around Christmas, and I need want them the other 11 months of the year.

I made these Sunday night, without really thinking about the fact that a) I'm not seeing my dessert-loving boyfriend again until Friday, b) I'm going to South Carolina this week for work and therefore can't share these with coworkers, and c) I'm completely weak around anything with cream cheese frosting.

Therefore, I ate one and stuck the rest in the freezer.  I do not plan on seeing how they taste directly out of the freezer.  I'm sure they're disgusting.  I'm just going to keep telling myself that. 



Here's what you'll need:

For the bars...

3/4 cup salted butter, cubed
1-1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chips

For the frosting...

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tablespoon grated orange peel (I actually used a clementine)
1 cup white chocolate chips, melted
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped

In a microwave, melt butter; stir in brown sugar. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to butter mixture. Stir in cranberries and white chocolate.

Spread into a parchment paper lined 13x9 inch baking dish. Bake at 350° for 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool in pan on a wire rack.

For frosting, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and orange peel until blended. Gradually add half of the melted white chocolate; beat until blended. Frost brownies. Sprinkle with cranberries. Drizzle with remaining melted white chocolate. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.

Source

11 comments:

  1. These look FABULOUS! Love how you stuck them in the freezer--I would totally do the same.
    Now I need to go buy some white chocolate + cranberries to make these beauties

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look adorable! I love cranberries and they go so well with the white chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You gals are really "bitchin" :-). These look fantastic. Unfortunately the freezer wouldn't stop me. I've never met one that's my match. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can say is wow. Those look exactly like the Starbucks ones and I bet they are just as good. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm speechless!! These look AMAZING : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the starbucks bars so i'd love to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just made these today for valentine's and they were delicious :) my biggest problem was trying to make the drizzle at the end... it's really hard melting white chocolate chips :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked them cleveisallxx! I always had trouble melting white chocolate chips too, until I followed the directions on the bag. You have to melt them reaaaaaal slowly at around 50% power until they're just barely melted. You could also try using white almond bark, since that melts a lot more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new to your blog so sorry toask such a dumb question but, how do I print a copy of a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Katz, not a dumb question at all! I haven't gotten around to making my older recipes printer friendly yet, so you can just use the print button on your browser or copy and paste the recipe into a word doc and print from there. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maggie-
    Thanks, sometimes you just have to ask. The bars look great & I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio