Friday, February 11, 2011

Cranberry Orange Salad


Posted by: Maggie

A few years ago before I really got into cooking, my mom made me a recipe box with about a dozen easy recipes that she made while I was growing up, that were easy enough for a cooking novice to conquer.  This recipe was one of them. 

This salad, which is actually titled "Christmas Salad" on the recipe card, is frequently served in our household before - you guessed it - Christmas dinner.  However, there is nothing inherently Christmasey about it, and since I didn't have it this holiday season I felt the need to remedy that situation.

My mom never adds goat cheese to her salad, but I was eating this as a meal and wanted a little something extra to make it more filling. Feel free to leave it off if you're not into goat cheese - it will still be insanely delicious.  I'm just a sucker for any salad with the fruit/nut/cheese trifecta, and this quick recipe is no exception. 

What you'll need:

For the vinaigrette: 
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 T cranberry or white wine vinegar
2 T sugar
1 t Dijon mustard
1/4 t salt

For the salad:
1/2 cup pecan halves
2 T sugar
1 bag (10 oz) dark leafy salad blend (I think mine was called baby greens)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 small log goat cheese, sliced

Mix together the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a container with a lid, and shake well to combine.  Set aside.

Line a baking sheet with a sheet of waxed paper and set aside.  Combine pecans and sugar in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar caramelizes.  Transfer pecans to waxed paper, and let cool before breaking apart.

Toss lettuce with dressing. 

Arrange lettuce, cranberries, oranges, onions, goat cheese, and pecans on a plate.  Commence drooling.

Source: Maggie and Annie's lovely mom (Update: Maggie and Annie's lovely mom thinks the salad was possibly from Southern Living, but a quick search for Southern Living Christmas Salad didn't bring up anything similar.  Sorry to the original source!)

3 comments:

  1. This looks so fresh and delicious! And your mini cheesecakes below look AMAZING!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so so good with everything I love. Great lunch salad for those of us trying to eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really a lovely salad . It looks fresh and delicious and can be served with almost anything. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll be back. Thanks for visiting my place. I hope you'll visit often. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio