Monday, February 21, 2011

Lemon Bars


Posted by: Maggie

Thursday through Saturday of last week were absolutely gorgeous here in Washington, DC.  While I'm typically a lover of cold weather, it was a really nice change to have a few 70-something degree days in a row, and it really got me looking forward to spring. 

I usually try to have some type of baked treat around on the weekend when Jeff is here, and I thought these lemon bars from Heather Christo's site (thanks!) looked like a nice fresh treat to match the sunny weather. 

These absolutely did not disappoint.  They had the perfect amount of tart lemon filling, and even my chocolate loving boyfriend really enjoyed these.  I meant to distribute the leftovers among my friends when I saw them yesterday, but I forgot the container in my fridge.  Now I have half a pan of these taunting me.  Sigh.  I guess I'll just have to eat them myself!

Here's what you'll need:

For the crust:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt

For the filling:
4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

Using a pastry cutter/dough blender (or a food processor) thoroughly combine the crust ingredients.  I used a dough blender since my food processor is tiny, and this takes a good 10 minutes (and expect a sore arm!)

Firmly press the crust into the pan using a spatula, and poke a few holes with a fork to release steam while baking.

Bake crust for 15 minutes.  When you remove it from the oven, press down with a spatula to release air bubbles and make a more compact crust. 

While the crust is baking, make the filling.  Whisk together eggs in a medium bowl until fluffy.  Add the sugar, whisking constantly until well combined.  Add the flour and mix until well combined.  Lastly, add the lemon juice and whisk until thoroughly combined. 

Pour the filling over the hot crust when it comes out of the oven.  Return to the oven to cook for another 15 minutes.  Let the lemon bars cool completely (I stuck mine in the fridge because I'm impatient), and sift powdered sugar over the top before cutting into bars. 

3 comments:

  1. I am such a sucker for lemon! These look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing. I can almost smell the lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my! these look soooo good! I love anything lemony & these look amazing!!!

    sigh... there go all my plans to cut down on sugar!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio