Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal Bars


Posted by: Maggie

I LOVE Oprah.  My love for the Oprah show is only obstructed by the fact that I have a full-time job that overlaps with Oprah hours, and I'm too cheap to pay for DVR.  I used to love when I'd come home from school before my sisters got home, and I could sit and watch it with my mom.  I'd be glued to any episode about medical or psychological issues (probably kind of odd that as a teenager I preferred those over the celebrity guests), and like most Oprah fans, I fantasized about being an audience member in one of her famous Oprah's Favorite Things episodes.

When I heard that Oprah was retiring from her talk show and starting her own network called OWN, I was super excited.  24 hours a day of Oprah approved programming? Sign me up.  I was even more excited when I discovered that my bottom rung cable package was actually offering the channel without making me pay extra. 

Fast forward a couple months when I get a friend request over on Tasty Kitchen  from Kristina Kuzmic, and she writes on my wire to check out her facebook for updates on the Oprah competition.  "What Oprah competition??" I thought to myself, before switching over to facebook to check it out. 

Long story short, I adored the show.  For those who missed it, it was called "Your OWN show" and it was an "Apprentice" style competition to win a show on Oprah's new network.  In Kristina's case, she was competing for a cooking show.  I rooted for Kristina from the beginning, and was thrilled to see her (and the other finalist Zach) both receive their own shows out of the competition. 

This recipe for chocolate oatmeal bars was posted on Kristina's facebook several weeks ago.  After having the first delicious taste, I decided that I wasn't going to share with my coworkers, and these were going to be my breakfast for the rest of the week.  The oatmeal negates the stick and a half of butter and makes these breakfast appropriate, right?

What you'll need:

3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) butter
½ cup + 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 Tablespoon milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter

Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang to use as handles to lift bars out, and spray with cooking spray.  Set aside.

Melt the butter over medium low heat.  Add the brown sugar, and mix until well incorporated. Stir in the vanilla, oats, and milk, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

After oats are cooked, press half of the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan.  Melt chocolate chips and peanut butter together in the microwave, stir to blend, pour over oat crust, and smooth with a rubber spatula.  Sprinkle the rest of the oat mixture on top and press lightly into the chocolate.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into bars.  Keep refrigerated.

Source: I tried to link to the facebook post with the recipe, but it has disappeared.  I'll try and find it again later, but until then check out her page!

5 comments:

  1. Wow these look so great. I am going to try them for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only had old fashioned oats. They worked fine, but I needed to add about 1/4 cup milk while on top of the stove, otherwise I think it would have been too dry. The bars turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making these this weekend. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio