Sunday, March 13, 2011

Green Velvet Cupcakes

Green Velvet Cupcakes


Posted by: Maggie

St. Patrick's Day is almost here!!! I'm Irish, I love the color green and love beer even more, so this is such a fun holiday for me.  Last year, Jeff, our friends, and I celebrated St. Patrick's Day in a pretty awesome way.  We all took the day off work, and did a daytime bar crawl through DC on the Boomerang Bus.  I have to say, riding on a party bus past your office at 2 pm on a weekday is a pretty good feeling.

This year, our St. Patrick's Day plans are even better.  We're going to Las Vegas! Jeff's 30th birthday is the day before St. Patrick's Day, so it was decided last year right around his 29th birthday that we'd do a trip to celebrate the big 3-0, St. Patrick's Day, and to watch and gamble on all the March Madness games.  Personally, I couldn't give a hoot about basketball, which is why I'll be spending a lot of time here.  At last count, there were 20 people going on this trip including me and Jeff, so I know there will always be someone fun to hang out with even if half the group is glued to the basketball games.

Last year I didn't make one single St. Patrick's Day dessert, so I couldn't let this year go by without making something green.  These cupcakes are originally from Bakerella, but I actually spotted them on Love from the Oven a few days ago.  I couldn't believe what a gorgeous shade of green these came out to be.  I wish I had cut open a cupcake and photographed it for you, because they are the prettiest shade of kelly green I've ever seen.  As you can see from my accident below, they use a LOT of food coloring to achieve that result.


Green Hands
Oh hai, man hands. P.S. You can't see most of my shirt, but York College represent! 

I'm a messy cook, what can I say? Soap and water did little to get the food coloring off my skin - interestingly enough, when I took a shower the next morning my shampoo that's intended for color treated hair washed it away!

These are mixed together somewhat unconventionally (no creaming of butter and sugar), but they were moist and fluffy, which is all that matters! I halved the recipe, but the amounts below are for a full batch of 24.  I didn't follow an exact recipe when I made the cream cheese frosting, but there are a few listed on our site already.  I would suggest this one, sans cinnamon if you want a stiffer cream cheese frosting that holds its shape.  I used the "Giant French Tip" from Bake it Pretty for these.  It was my first time using it, and it's my new favorite.

If green velvet isn't your cup of tea, make sure to check out co-blogger Annie's recipe for Irish Car Bomb cupcakes from back when we started blogging! They would also be perfect for St. Patrick's Day.

Green Velvet Cupcakes
 
Like this recipe? Do me a humongous favor and hook me up with some social media love! 
Please follow me on Instagram, like me on Facebook, follow me on Twitter, and follow me on Pinterest, and I will love you forever and ever :)

Here's what you'll need:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 T white vinegar
1 t vanilla
1 oz green food coloring

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line cupcake pan with paper or foil liners. 

In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs with a whisk.  Add in the oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring.  Whisk til blended and set aside.  

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.  

Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients, and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for about 1 minute, or until everything is well combined.  Don't overbeat, or your cupcakes will turn out tough! 

Pour the batter into prepared cupcake pans.  Bake for 17-19 minutes.  Let cool for a few minutes, then remove from pans.  Cool completely before frosting.  I'm impatient, and usually just stick my cupcakes in the freezer for 10 minutes to cool them off! 

Source:  Adapted from Bakerella and Love from the Oven

15 comments:

  1. This looks like a great recipe for me to try out my new Kitchen Aid mixer on. Have fun in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful those look. Love the idea. I bet they taste as good as they look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love red velvet so I'm sure I'd love green velvet! And they're so cute. I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight at http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laurel - feel free to submit this, and thank you! I'm not sure if you'll check back here, so I'm going to head over to your site and message you there too :)

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey how many do you get? 12 or more? St Patrick's in also my birthday and I wanna bring these to work.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great recipe! If the batter tastes anything as good as the cupcakes do, I might have to make another batch!
    @Noa, i got about 18 out of a single batch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Noa,

    Sorry I'm just seeing this now, I'm on vacation in Vegas and haven't checked the computer! The recipe above should yield 24 - I halved it and got 12. Hope you enjoy them!

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all thanks for sharing this awesome recipe. I will be making some of these for our family reunion this coming weekend. Green velvet cupcakes really sound perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made red velvet cupcakes last St. Patrick day and it really did taste so perfect. I never thought of making it color green to make it cool and fun to look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. in the ingredients, whats the difference btwn "T" & "t" ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anonymous - T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon.

    If you try the recipe let me know how you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How many spoons is "1-oz?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Anonymous - I'm sorry, but I'm not actually sure. The food coloring that I used was in a 1 ounce bottle, so I didn't measure the teaspoons/tablespoons. You should be able to find it in a 1 ounce bottle at the grocery store, and then you can just dump the whole thing in :) Otherwise, I would just suggest adding color until the batter is a deep emerald green. Good luck!

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made these.. and it is WONDERFUL! They are so damned cute! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio