Monday, March 14, 2011

"Irish" Chocolate Dipped Shortbread



Posted by: Annie

I am not really sure that shortbread is Irish; in fact, I am pretty sure that they are Scottish, but for the sake all things St. Patrick's Day they will be Irish for this week. I was supposed to be going to Vegas with co-blogger Maggie, but due to standardized testing at my school I will be staying in Philadelphia and drowning my sorrows with chocolate dipped shortbread and hopefully a few drinks. 

I really wanted to shape these cookies into shamrocks and sprinkle the chocolate with Irish-themed sprinkles, but I discovered on my trips to both Wegmans and Target that St. Patrick's Day is totally ignored and I was surrounded by all things Easter. As much as I love Cadbury eggs and pastels, I was bummed to discover that my shortbread would not be shamrock shaped or adorned with festive sprinkles. I now know that next year I will order supplies online because the Easter Bunny is obviously more important to major stores than cute little leprechauns. (I joke, kinda.)

What you will need: 

3 sticks butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar together until just combined. Next, stir in vanilla extract. In a separate smaller bowl mix flour and salt, and add into butter mixture. Mix until the dough comes together. Flour a work surface and use it to shape the dough into a flat round disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for thirty minutes.

After the dough has chilled, roll it out to approximately 1/2 inch thick. Using a pizza wheel or cookie cutter cut out 3 by 1 inch cookies. Place the prepared cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.

Remove from the oven and cool completely.

In a separate microwaveable bowl melt three ounces of the chocolate at thirty second increments in the microwave. When the chocolate is melted, stir in the remaining chocolate and stir until smooth and shiny. Allow the chocolate to slightly cool.

Dip each cookie halfway into the chocolate and place on a parchment lined sheet. Allow cookies to rest until chocolate is set and then store in a covered container at room temperature. 

5 comments:

  1. And yet another wonderful looking dessert from you two. This one looks fabulous. Cannot wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a shame you had to change your plans. This is a fabulous looking cookie and I'm sure it is delicious. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are too cute and look delish.. but Im still drooling over the Green Velvet cupcakes! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie, Annie:
    Those look so good, that I wish I could just reach through the screen and grab one.
    I definitely have these on my radar now - I haven't made a shortbread cookie, even once. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio