Sunday, March 6, 2011

Monkey Bread



Posted by: Maggie

Annie and her boyfriend Scott stayed with me on Saturday night, and we stayed out late singing karaoke at a bar called Sobe in Arlington.  I started out the evening with "Family Tradition" (best song ever to do at karaoke if you have a bad voice like me - people participate with it!), Jeff did "It's Not Unusual" and "Don't Stop Believin," and then Annie and I did a really embarrassing duet of "I've Had the Time of my Life," in which I channeled Patrick Swayze (RIP).  

Needless to say, there was some liquid courage involved in performing cheesy songs in front of a crowd of people, and we all needed something tasty this morning to soak up any beer still lingering in our stomachs. 

Enter, Monkey Bread.  I've been wanting to make this for a weekend breakfast for some time now, but it makes a huge amount that Jeff and I would barely make a dent in.  I figured with Annie and Scott here to help, it would be the perfect time to break out this easy and delicious breakfast treat.

P.S.  I implore you to make bacon as a side dish.  The bread is extremely sweet, and the saltiness of the bacon complemented it deliciously.

Here's what you'll need:

3 cans of Buttermilk biscuits (the non-flaky ones in the smaller 7 or 7.5 oz cans)
1 cup white sugar
1 T cinnamon
2 sticks salted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Open biscuits, and cut each biscuit into quarters.  Dump cinnamon and sugar into a large gallon-sized ziploc bag, and shake to combine.  Dump biscuit pieces into the cinnamon/sugar bag, and shake to combine until the pieces are thoroughly coated and unstuck from each other.

Place biscuit pieces evenly in an un-greased bundt pan.

In a medium saucepan, melt two sticks of butter over medium heat.  Throw in the brown sugar, and stir for a couple minutes until combined with the butter.

Evenly pour the mixture over the biscuit pieces, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until dark brown on top.  Let sit for 15-30 minutes, and then invert onto a serving plate.

Source: The Pioneer Woman Cooks

2 comments:

  1. Love me some monkey bread! This sounds so easy and amazing! Some candied bacon sprinkled on top would totally complete this!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I had no idea this recipe was so easy to make! thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio