Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tri-Color Pasta Salad


Posted by: Maggie

I meant to post this easy and meatless recipe first thing this morning since it's Ash Wednesday, and those of us who observe it don't eat meat today.  But then, work happened, and after work I went to Mass for ashes, and then I went on an unsuccessful shopping trip to Ann Taylor Loft (this top = super cute on hanger, not so cute on Maggie), and then came home and ate an entire pint of blueberries and watched 3 episodes of My Name is Earl on Netflix Instant.

Fortunately, those of us who observe Lent have 7 meatless Fridays ahead of us, and you still have plenty of time to make this pasta salad.  My reasons for making this Tuesday night were twofold: first, I knew that I would need something vegetarian to nosh on all day today.  Second, I gave up buying breakfast and lunch at work for Lent.  Despite my love for cooking, I never ever make myself a lunch.  Since I work in the expensive city of Washington, DC, this has turned into quite a costly habit.  Depending on the day, I spend between $12-$20 on food and drinks at the office. You will be seeing a lot more lunch dishes around here for the duration of Lent.  Does anyone have suggestions for lunch ideas beyond the typical sandwich?

As with all pasta salads, this can really be tweaked to accommodate your personal tastes, but this combination of ingredients turned out too tasty not to share.

What you'll need:

12 oz. tri-color rotini
6 tablespoons full fat Italian Dressing
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 jar sundried tomatoes, julienned
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
20 Kalamata olives, halved (I bought these at the Harris Teeter olive bar, and they'd mixed the pitted ones and ones with pits.  What dumdums.  Pitting olives is the pits.  Har, har.)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse.

Toss with the dressing, pepper, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, garlic, and parmesan in a large bowl.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate overnight prior to serving for best flavor.

2 comments:

  1. What a great looking pasta salad. It would be wonderful for a spring/summer luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pasta salad is so pretty! That's my favorite kind of pasta ever. I love all of the colors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio