Saturday, April 9, 2011

Carrot Cake Balls


Posted by: Maggie

I'm probably the only food blogger in the universe who hasn't ever made cake balls. I haven't even tried cake balls (well, until now,) despite the fact that they're so popular even Starbucks has them now. I usually hate using cake mixes and canned frosting, but for my first time making these I just wanted to go the easy route, and I must say that they are delicious! Annie posted a recipe for carrot cupcakes a while back that you could probably use if you wanted to make these from scratch.

I made these over the course of two days since there is a lot of chilling and inactive time involved. The super cute carrot decorations are from my favorite baking supply store, Bake It Pretty.

I don't really know how carrot cake came to be associated with Easter, but since it is, these would make a great treat to have around two weeks from tomorrow!



Here's what you'll need:

1 box of carrot cake mix (and eggs and oil called for on the box)
1 can cream cheese frosting
1 package white almond bark

Bake carrot cake as directed on package, following directions for a 13x9 pan. Let cake cool completely (a few hours,) and crumble into a large bowl. Mix the entire can of cream cheese frosting into the crumbled cake mix to form a dough. I used my very clean hands for this - it was really messy, but much easier than using a spoon.

Chill the "dough" for a few hours (I chilled it overnight.)  Roll the dough into golf ball sized balls, place on a baking sheet, and put in the freezer for one hour.  Remove from freezer, and melt the almond bark per directions on package. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Dip each ball in the melted almond bark, place on baking sheet, and garnish as desired.

Random cake ball tips:

I use two forks to carefully lift the balls out of the almond bark, and let the excess drip down the side before placing on the baking sheet.

Almond bark firms up very quickly, so garnish each cake ball immediately after dipping, rather than waiting until you've dipped the whole batch. 

Makes about 30 cake balls.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. Those look great. Better than Starbuks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you comment at someone's blog, and I loved your name so I had to stop by :) A Bitchin Kitchen.. loves it! These carrot cake balls are adorable, too. I'm really looking forward to checking out your recipes... you have alot that sound amazing! I am your newest follower :)

    Check out my blog and follow back if you like!

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made these tonight for my girlfriend and even though they were a bit lumpy they came out really well. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me so horny. I love balls, and I'm fat! Cake combined with balls=WIN
    860-808-6211 ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio