Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lemon Cupcakes


Posted by:  Maggie

These cupcakes have officially surpassed my Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes as the best cupcakes I've ever made. Everything about this recipe is seriously perfect - the cake is moist but sturdy, the frosting is lemony but not too tart - I really just love it.

I shared these with my coworkers yesterday, and am still getting compliments as of this morning!

You *must* make these sometime soon. The bright citrusy flavor makes them so perfect for spring, and I will definitely be making these again sometime soon so Jeff can try them too. I saw him last night but didn't bring him a cupcake. I'm such a bad girlfriend.



Here's what you'll need for the cake:

2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
4 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
lemon zest from two lemons
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line cupcake tins with 24 paper liners.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together the buttermilk and egg whites in a separate medium bowl.

Put the sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl, and rub them together with your fingers until the sugar is slightly moist and fragrant. Now take a break from cooking and click on the YouTube video that the word moist is linked to. When I typed that word, that scene immediately popped in my head. Moving on...

Add the butter into the large bowl, and cream together on medium speed for 3 minutes. Beat in the extracts, and then alternate adding in the flour and milk mixtures, beginning and ending with the flour. Beat for a minute to make sure everything is well combined, and scoop into your prepared cupcake tins.

Bake 18-22 minutes, or until cupcakes are well risen and spring back when touched. Cool on a wire rack.

Here's what you'll need for the frosting:

2 (8) ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
2-3 lbs. confectioners’ sugar (I started with a 2 pound bag, and probably added an additional 2 cups to get it to piping consistency.)
juice of one lemon

I know cream cheese frosting typically has vanilla extract, but I skipped adding it to maintain the white color of the frosting. It had plenty of flavor from the lemon juice without it. This makes enough frosting to generously frost 24 cupcakes, with a bit left over.

Beat cream cheese and butter until well combined. Gradually add in confectioners sugar, and beat to combine. Finally, mix in lemon juice.

Source: My Baking Addiction

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh these sound wonderful. Too bad I'm on a strict diet for 8 LOOOOOONG weeks : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous looking. I can only imagine how good they taste. I hope you have a wonderful day and enjoy the coming holiday. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cupcakes look very pretty and I do enjoy eating lemon flavoured cakes. Great job :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow those look fantastic. I can almost smell the lemon just looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so delicate and delicious! I love the way you frosted them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon desserts! Especially lemon cupcakes. These look amazing and the piping is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cupcakes are beautiful. I love how you frosted them=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did u frost them? Did u refridgerate frosting first? My frosting was too room temp?? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Anonymous - Nope, didn't refrigerate the frosting first. If you're having trouble with frosting that is too soft, add powdered sugar gradually until it thickens up. Also, make sure that you soften the butter on the counter, and not in the microwave! Hope that helps :)

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  10. If i wanted to make this recipe as a cake, would it be two 9" rounds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emu - I'm sorry, but I haven't tried making it as a cake. If you give it a shot let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio