Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lemon Linguine


Posted by: Maggie

I made this pasta dish for dinner back on Monday night, when DC temperatures soared to the mid-80s, and all I craved was something fresh and light tasting for dinner. I know it doesn't look like anything special from the picture, but trust me when I say that these simple ingredients come together to make something amazing.

Lemon is one of my favorite flavors for baked goods, but I haven't really used it much in savory dishes. After making this pasta, I can't wait to use it more.

Another great thing about this pasta is simply the speed with which it came together. I am a notoriously slow cook, and this literally took me about 20 minutes to throw together. It would probably take a normal person 10 minutes to make! I usually don't like eating leftovers, but since this only made two portions I'm going to see what it's like as a cold pasta salad tomorrow and report back!

One last thing - bufala mozzarella is insanely expensive. Since when I grocery shop I sometimes forget that my job doesn't pay me eleventy bajillion dollars a year to keep me in spendy cheeses, I paid $12.99 for a container of bufala mozzarella. Yeah, it's delicious, and I may try and convince myself that it's worth it, but you could probably use fresh mozzarella from a cow instead of a water buffalo and pay about half that price with equally tasty results.

Here's what you'll need:

1 9 ounce container fresh linguine
1 container fresh bufala mozzarella, torn into small pieces (or cow mozzarella if you're smart)
Juice from 2 lemons
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 handful fresh basil, chiffonaded (I used about 8 large leaves)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Combine olive oil and lemon juice in a bowl, and whisk to combine.

Cook linguine according to package directions (fresh pasta only takes about 2-3 minutes.)

Mix cooked pasta with all other ingredients, and garnish with more basil and lemon zest if desired.

Source: Ramshackle Glam

3 comments:

  1. This sounds divine! I also love lemon desserts! This lemon linguine sounds amazing. I love how it's so easy to make too! I'm ALL about easy dishes : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good! Fresh (lemon) and creamy (cheese) at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this over the weekend--with the less expensive cheese--and it was great and a big hit! (i.e. There were no leftovers for my lunch today, even though I made an obscene amount.) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio