Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lemon Risotto with Peas


Posted by: Maggie

I'm so sorry. I know you all must be sick of lemon after the lemon linguine and lemon cupcakes. Truth is, I had a giant bag of lemons in my fridge that I didn't want to waste. I just crave that flavor once warm weather hits, and I got a little overzealous when purchasing them at my grocery store.

I promise to give you a break from lemon after this recipe because...

Annie got me an ice cream maker for my birthday!  I am very excited about this gift, and plan to share a non-lemon ice cream recipe with you on Monday.

This risotto might be one of my favorite recipes on the blog. It requires standing over the stove the entire time it is cooking, but it still comes together quickly enough to qualify as a weeknight meal. The original recipe says it makes 8 servings, but I got 3 out of it. That's a salad size plate in the picture, and I had two more equally sized portions off to the side. The blog where I found this recipe suggested serving this with salmon, and I think that you could get a perfectly sized meal for 3 people out of this recipe if you did that.

P.S. People using Internet Explorer - is our logo showing up at the top of the page for you? It is displaying fine on Firefox and Safari on my home computer, but not showing on my work computer that only has IE.

Here's what you will need:

4 - 5 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (I used closer to 4 cups)
2 small shallots, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup white wine
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

In a medium saucepan, heat the broth, and keep it warm.

In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter, and saute shallots for 2-3 minutes, or until soft. Add the uncooked rice, thyme, and pepper, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.

Stir in wine and lemon juice, and stir until all liquid is absorbed.

Stir in the heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, letting all liquid absorbe between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender - about 20-24 minutes.

Add the peas, parmesan, and lemon peel.  Allow to cook another 2 minutes until heated through. Serve immediately.

Source: Susi's Kochen und Backen Adventures

5 comments:

  1. There could never be too many lemon recipes in my opinion. I actually think I like lemon more than chocolate! I'm a risotto lover, and this sounds so delicious! (and I'm on Firefox, but the logo isn't showing up for me...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh delicious! It looks so simple and bright tasting, and that texture is just heavenly. I have been craving lemon lately, too, so this recipe comes at the perfect time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am never sick of lemon. Bring it on. This recipe looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to say thanks so much for this recipe!! I made it for a a man I'm dating who lived in Italy for several years and I was pretty nervous but he said it was delicious and suprised I did so well for a first time!! Thanks again! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm so glad that you both enjoyed it. This is one of my favorite recipes on the blog :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio