Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Roasted Chipotle Chicken Drumsticks





Posted by: Maggie


This recipe was a momentous cooking occasion for me. You see, I used to be afraid to cook chicken. I was so doubtful of my own cooking abilities that I was absolutely certain I would undercook my food and poison myself and others.

I partially got over this fear, but only when I could use boneless, skinless breasts. They seemed safer to me. They cook evenly, they don't have a bone, and it's fairly easy to tell when they're done.

Then one day I came across this recipe for Chipotle Chicken Drumsticks, and I decided that I wanted to get over my weirdo fear of cooking other chicken parts. I love, love, love canned chipotles in adobo. Their smoky, spicy flavor is just amazing. I couldn't let this recipe pass me by.

Guess what...I did it! Betcha' caught on to that from the picture just above. I cooked them, and as I type this 24 hours later, I am TOTALLY ALIVE and not suffering from salmonella, or E.coli, or chicken pox! (heheh)

I should probably stop talking about food borne illness (and skin viruses) if I want you keep reading.

Does anyone else get excited when they conquer a cooking fear? I'm also scared to make yeast bread.

Here's what you'll need:

1 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons lime zest
4-8  canned chipotle chiles (depending on how spicy you like it...I didn't think these were very spicy, and I used a lot of chiles, however, this is coming from a person with a very high tolerance for spice)
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Salt and black pepper to taste
4 chicken drumsticks, with skin
Lime wedges for serving



Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil, and preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 

In a food processor, puree the first 6 ingredients until no chunks of chipotle peppers remain. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reserve half the mixture. I pulled big pieces of the chicken off the bone when I was eating and dipped them in the extra sauce, and also dipped my sweet potato fries in it.

Spread the remaining half of the mixture evenly over the drumsticks. Place in the pan, and cook uncovered for 50 minutes, or until the juices run clear and the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees.

I highly recommend serving these with sweet potato fries. I just used store-bought, and they went extremely well with the chicken.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my word those drumsticks look so flavorful and soooo good. I haven't made drumsticks in forever and I think it's about time I did again. Love the suggestion of serving them with sweet potato fries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this chicken sounds awesome!! I also love it when a I conquer a difficult recipe!! lol. Yeast breads can be scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those drumsticks sound and look awesome. So many tasty flavors all rolled into one great dish! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow do those look awesome. Great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are those sweet potato fries I see?=) I love making drumsticks! However, a certain member of my family hates them (I don''t know how this is possible) so we rarely have them=(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... these look AWESOME. I am also a huge fan of chipotles in adobo sauce and am always looking for more chipotle recipes. I will definitely try these out. Great site by the way... I will definitely be back! I also have my eye on your lemon cupcakes... YUM!

    - Nicola from unhip squirrel
    http://unhipsquirrel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you use 1 cup or a 1/2 cup of mayo? I thought a full cup seemed like a lot, so I checked the original recipe. (1/2 cup listed there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I used the full cup. I mention in the recipe that I reserve half of the mixture to dip the chicken in (and sweet potato fries if you make them with this!) If you're not interested in dipping the chicken, it's totally fine to half the first six ingredients.

      Enjoy!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio