Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Baba Ghanoush



Posted by: Maggie


I ate a good third of this recipe as my dinner the other night. I decided that since eggplant is a vegetable, and since olive oil contains good fats, and because garlic is good for blood pressure that it was ok to scoop up this delicious concoction with half a baguette. Whatever. Still a health food.

I always go back and forth with which middle-eastern dip I like better - this, or hummus.  They're basically the same recipe, except one has chickpeas and one has eggplant. When it comes to my homemade versions, baba ghanoush is the clear winner. As for packaged versions, hummus wins. Packaged baba ghanoush is kind of tasteless, which is precisely why you should make this.

Serve this with sliced baguette, pita chips, cut up pita bread triangles, tortilla chips, or crackers. Serve it warm right after you make it, or chilled (I like it best warm, but I did enjoy the chilled leftovers for lunch the next day.) Whatever you do, just make it as soon as possible.

What you'll need:

3 medium eggplants
4 Tablespoons Tahini
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
Kosher salt, to taste

Prick the surface of each eggplant several times with a fork so that it can release steam while cooking. Preheat your broiler to high, and place eggplant on a foil lined baking sheet. Blacken the eggplant under the broiler for about 25 minutes, turning every few minutes. You want to get the eggplant really shriveled, and super tender. (Side note: You could also do this on a grill, but I wouldn't recommend an indoor one - mine was far too weak, and I gave up and switched to the broiler.) If you don't mind heating up your kitchen, a broiler is the way to go.

Set eggplant aside to cool for 5 minutes. Cut the eggplant open, and scoop out as much of the flesh as possible into a large bowl. Mash the eggplant with a fork, and mix in the remaining ingredients.

I have to stop blogging about foods that I've been out of for days. Now I just want to make this again.

Source: The Pioneer Woman

8 comments:

  1. I must admit to never ever having tried eggplant but I love anything that can be eaten with bread or pita chips so I'l have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fave restaurant sometimes has this in their mezze dish and I always forget what its called!! Now I can make extra big portions at home for myself cos, as you say, vegetables equals healthy (and basically cancels out the bread)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on store bought baba ghanoush. It doesn't quite capture the flavours of the individual ingredients quite the right way (or at all!). I've never actually tried to make it myself, but I have enjoyed it at restaurants! But now I have a recipe to try for myself.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the justification of health food, I do this all the time! Looks so yummy, and healthy too... of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks GREAT.

    I love baba ghanoush. I love saaaying baba ghanoush.

    You just sound like you know what you're talking about when you say, baba ghanoush.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try eggplant. Never have had it before. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That just looks so good. I cannot wait to try it. I have never had it so it will be a grand adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this recipe. I can imagine how tasty this was on a baguette. A meal in minutes :-). I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio