Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bourbon Glazed Salmon


Posted by: Maggie

Everyone who knows me is aware that I enjoy a drink or three on occasion on Fridays, Saturdays, and Thursdays during kickball season. I'm mainly a beer or wine girl, but I really don't discriminate - except when it comes to tequila. Let's just say that I used to travel to San Antonio frequently for my old job, and had enough tequila on those trips to last the rest of my life.

I tried bourbon for the first time last fall at a karaoke bar. It made me feel all warm and tingly (probably because I was drinking it straight up), and I instantly fell in love. I don't drink it often, because a) if I'm drinking liquor I insist on a decent brand, and I don't like buying $15 cocktails on the regular, and b) I feel tipsy after one, whereas with beer I'm sober as a judge after three. I may be drinking it more often in the near future though, since making this recipe required the purchase of my very own bottle of Jim Beam.

This recipe was absolutely delicious, and if the glaze wasn't the consistency of maple syrup I probably would have attempted to drink it. The original recipe recommends broiling the fish to get it crispy, but the inside of my oven looks like this, and so I just cooked it on my countertop grill:



What can I say...I don't have a lot of kitchen storage.

Here's what you'll need:

3/4 cup bourbon
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon worcestshire sauce
4 6-ounce pieces salmon 
Coarse salt
Pepper
Olive Oil

In a small saucepan, whisk together the first seven ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and whisk frequently for 8-10 minutes, or until mixture reduces by half. Transfer the glaze to a bowl, and allow to thicken and cool while you make the salmon.

Rub your countertop grill (I use the Cuisinart Griddler and LOVE it if you're looking for a recommendation) or grill pan with olive oil, and heat over medium heat. Lightly brush both sides of the salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill to desired doneness - I take mine off when it is just barely opaque in the thickest part.

Brush cooked salmon with glaze, and serve immediately.

Source: How Sweet It Is

8 comments:

  1. I have never tried bourbon before. I'm a Malibu Rum girl! In diet coke! Mmmmm Love it!! I'll have to give bourbon a try. This recipe sounds terrific!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I love salmon and I'm not immune to the charms of bourbon in cooking. This is definitely worth a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a really delicious looking recipe. Cannot wait to try it. Love the pictures. The kitchen storage is way too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so yum. and can i say, that risotto in your previous post is seriously making my mouth water. i love a good risotto!

    Thought you'd be interested in entering my Jennifer Elizabeth fringe shimmy necklace giveaway. The giveaway is open to everyone and ends May 14!

    http://www.ohtobeamuse.com/2011/04/sadee-says-jennifer-elizabeth-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bitchin Kitchen, I love ya, you so totally rock!! I am German, but married to an Italian (yes, sometimes not a good mix) but.... Sista you make me believe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try this glaze on scallops tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try this glaze on scallops tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to try this glaze on scallops tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio