Monday, May 16, 2011

Chocolate Chip Crumble Bars


Posted by: Annie

I learned something about myself as a baker. I SUCK at crumbling. These are supposed to be chocolate chip CRUMBLE bars, and mine kind of just look like normal bars. Don't get me wrong, they were delicious (I may have even eaten one on my way to work at 6:30 am with a Red Bull - epitome of health you are talking to here,) but my crumbles kind of baked all together to look like non-crumble. Crumble-fail.

I was actually very surprised at the texture of my Chocolate Chip non-Crumble Bars; they were very cakelike and incredibly moist. I made these bars for my good good good friend Jinnely who just received her master's from Temple University in Education! We have been friends since middle school (awww,) and now work together as teachers in Philadelphia. She graduated on Thursday evening and walked in to a big plate of these bars on her desk the morning of her big day.

Me and Jinnely!



What you will need:

2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter
2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup for the topping, 1 cup for the batter)
1 egg
1 cup milk (I used fat free)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, butter and salt. Mix well and use a fork to crumble the mixture. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture and set aside. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips, egg, milk, vanilla and baking soda. Mix well and pour into a lightly greased 9x13 pan. Add 1 cup chocolate chips to the reserved crumb mixture and sprinkle on top of the batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the crumb topping is golden brown. Cool and cut into bars. 



Source

6 comments:

  1. Those looks really yummy. I am making some tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word these look so good. :) I love anything chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! They were soooo addicting :)

    My scarf was courtesy of my roommates closet :) I am forced to wear a uniform of white blouses and gray pants to work, so I look for any accessory that prevents me from looking extra bland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look super delicious

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your guys' blog recently when looking for Peanut Butter Nutella Brownies (heavenly). Then last night my roommate and I started with this crumble, but we added some things. First was a layer of oats that we took from your Chocolate Oatmeal Bars, then we added peanut butter (always), finely ground hazelnut coffee beans and cocoa powder. RIDICulously good. You're now my go-to for desserts!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio