Friday, May 20, 2011

Chocolate Ice Cream

Posted by: Maggie

Happy Friday! Is anyone doing anything fun this weekend? I'm going to see Bridesmaids tonight with one of my girlfriends and I'm super excited. I have the gross-out sense of humor of a 14-year old boy, and I hear that this movie will strongly appeal to that side of me. I'm really not big on serious or sad movies. I'll watch them on occasion if something really interests me, but I think life is too short to spend 2 hours watching something that will just depress you.

I present to you today the only recipe for chocolate ice cream you will ever need. It is perfectly rich, perfectly creamy, and unless I'm in a major time crunch I don't ever see myself buying chocolate ice cream from the store again. It comes from David Lebovitz's "The Perfect Scoop" cookbook, which Annie was kind enough to give me for my birthday last month (in addition to an ice cream machine!)

I'm feeling kind of brain dead this morning, so instead of rambling on about uninteresting drivel, I thought I'd share this little game I've been seeing on some of my favorite blogs over the past few months. I don't know about you, but I'm incredibly nosy, and curious about the lives of bloggers outside their blogs. So I hope this doesn't bore you to death - I'd love to see your own "ABCs" in the comments and learn more about our readers!


Age: 27 (hellooooo scary age)
Bed Size: Full, much to my dismay. I used to live in an old rowhouse in DC, and when I bought my bed I was worried a queen wouldn't make it up our narrow staircase.
Chore you Hate: Unloading the dishwasher.
Dogs: I like dogs, and grew up with a very sweet pug named Humphrey, but I am honestly more of a cat person. Since my apartment is tiny I don't have any pets, but I like to pretend that our family cat Pumpkin, who lives far, far away in New Jersey is mine. Isn't he cute?



Essential Start To Your Day: Diet Coke. At least two of them. Preferably from a nice chilled can, but I've been known to drink it from a warm bottle out of desperation.
Favorite Color: Green!
Gold or Silver: White gold. That's right, I'm difficult and didn't choose one of the actual options.
Height: 5'6 3/4" according to the doctor, but I round up to 5'7"

Instruments that you can play: I have played the piano since I was 5, and I was a band geek in high school. I played flute mostly, but halfway through senior year I started playing piccolo on occasion.
Job title: I'm a contractor for the Department of Justice.
Kids: None yet, but I like them!
Live: Old Town Alexandria, Virginia

Mom's Name: Patricia/Patty/Tricia...Mom? Do you read this thing still? Love you!
Nicknames: Well, the name on my birth certificate is Margaret, so Maggie is a nickname. Some of my friends from kickball started calling me Muh-G-G. My college roommate's boyfriend called me Magnum. A friend from middle school/high school called me Meeeg (long e.) My grandpa called me Bird Turd. My boyfriend has been known to call me Devil Woman. Apparently I'm a very nicknameable person.

Overnight Hospital Stays: Other than when I was born, just one. I got really dehydrated back in 6th grade from a bad case of the flu, and spent 2 nights hooked up to an IV at Monmouth Medical Center. Good times.
Pet Peeve: I could write a whole separate blog about all of my pet peeves, but slow walkers annoy the crap out of me. I try to be patient. I work one block from the White House, and I understand that it's a beautiful and historic area. But at rush hour, I just want people to get out of my way so I can get to/leave work.

Quote from a Movie: One of the few serious movies that I love, love, love is "Blow." I've always liked this quote: "So in the end, was it worth it? Jesus Christ. How irreparably changed my life has become. It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in. I'll grant you I've had more than my share of poignant moments. Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it. Throughout my lifetime, I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there's almost not enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent. There are no more white horses or pretty ladies at my door."

Righty or Lefty: Righty
Sibling(s): Annie and Emma
Time you Wake Up: I set my alarm for 6 a.m. and usually make it out of bed around 6:30 a.m. On weekends I get up around 9.
Underwear: I can only think of hilariously gross things to write here that are not food blog appropriate, so I'm moving on to the next letter...

Vegetables you Dislike: The only one I can think of is Yellow Squash, but I haven't tried it in years. I probably like it now - I'm really the least picky eater ever.
What makes you Late: I procrastinate getting ready in the morning. I always have to check facebook, read my email, etcetera, and that majorly slows me down.
X-Rays: Too many to count. I'm accident prone.
Yummy Food You Make: I like to think everything, but these are some of my favorites.
Zoo Animal: I'm a fan of the pandas.

Anyone still there? Have I bored you to tears?

If you're still around, here's what you'll need to make some delicious ice cream:

2 cups heavy cream
3 Tablespoons Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
5 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
5 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder, whisking to thoroughly blend. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 seconds, whisking constantly.

Remove from the heat, and stir in the chopped chocolate until smooth. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and set aside.

Using the same saucepan, warm the milk, sugar, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Going very slowly so you don't cook the yolks, pour the milk mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a spatula, and scrape the bottom of the saucepan as you stir. When the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spatula, remove from heat.

Pour the mixture through a mesh strainer into the chocolate mixture, and stir until smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract. Stir the mixture over an ice bath until cool. Chill the mixture in your fridge for at least 8 hours, and then freeze according to your ice cream maker's directions.

Source

6 comments:

  1. Yummy looking ice cream!

    Age: 30 (even scarier age!)
    Bed Size: queen
    Chore you Hate: cleaning the bathroom :-/
    Dogs: I took am a cat person. I love my old fat cat Chloe. She's cranky, but people do generally learn to love her... in time....
    Essential Start To Your Day: morning internet time. Sad!
    Favorite Color: I don't really have one
    Gold or Silver: Silver
    Height: 5'2
    Instruments that you can play: None, though I used to be able to sing (no longer, as evidenced by many many Karaoke nights)
    Job title: human resources interviewer
    Kids: 0
    Live: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

    Mom's Name: Vi
    Nicknames: none really. I guess my dad calls me Nic.

    Overnight Hospital Stays: none
    Pet Peeve: misplaced apostrophe's

    Quote from a Movie: not a movie... but... "Oompa Loompa doompety dawsome, Dwight is now gone, and that's totally awesome. Why is he gone, he was such a nice guy? No he was not, he was a total douche, doompety doo." Guess you just have to be there for that one..

    Righty or Lefty: Righty
    Sibling(s): Jesse
    Time you Wake Up: 8ish
    Underwear: yes, I wear that

    Vegetables you Dislike: parsnips and mushrooms
    What makes you Late: I procrastinate getting ready in the morning. I always have to check facebook, read my email, etcetera, and that majorly slows me down. -- ME TOO
    X-Rays: teeth, back, I think that's it
    Yummy Food You Make: sweets!
    Zoo Animal: dromedary. Seriously. My cousin and I bonded over one! We named him Samuel, he was cute and had a soft nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't the least bored and it was fun to get to know more about you. Your ice cream has magnificent color and I can imagine hoe great it must taste. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh the chocolate ice cream looks amazing! I want some!

    I'm turing 26 this year. Scary! Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! The ice cream and the blog (title). I saw your comment on a post and the name of your blog just screamed at me to come visit! Love it and love your sisters. How amazing is that you both like to cook. Great blog and will visit often! XO
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah, I loved your "ABC" segment! This is the first blog I've looked at this morning (trust me, it won't be the last. I'm majorly obsessed with food blogs, it gets me through my work day), and it was a very nice start! And the ice cream looks delicious! I swam competitively for 18 years, and I used to have a bowl of ice cream every night. I've since stopped swimming and therefore stopped my binge eating, but this ice cream looks like it would be well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggle (you forgot that one),

    I really missed out. This ice cream looks ammaazing, and the photography is gorgeous. I'm impressed... and hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio