Thursday, June 2, 2011

Campfire Delight Cupcakes


Posted by: Maggie

Have you noticed that we're big fans of cupcakes around these parts?

Not counting this post, Annie and I have 106 recipes on this blog, 12 of which are cupcakes. 11% of our recipes are cupcakes. Ridiculous. Yet, I continue to bake them.

Of all the delicious things I make (I'm so humble, I know...) nothing elicits a happier response from my culinary guinea pigs than cupcakes. I'm a sucker for praise and admiration, so I keep baking them. When I made lemon cupcakes back in April, one of my coworkers told me the unexpected treat made her day. That's some powerful cake, man.

Jeff and I went to a Memorial Day barbeque last Sunday, and when I asked the hostess what I could bring she specifically requested cupcakes. I was more than happy to oblige, since I look for any excuse to pawn off baked goods to willing recipients. 

When I saw Sweetapolita's recipe for a sky-high, dark chocolate and toasted marshmallow layer cake a few months ago, I'm pretty sure I drooled on my laptop for a solid five minutes while gazing at the delicious looking photos. But, I make cupcakes - I don't do layer cakes. I don't even own a cake pan. While I could have put forth a smidgen of effort and adapted the recipe for cupcakes myself, that's not my style. I forgot all about the cake until a couple weeks ago when she posted the cupcake adaptation of her Campfire Delight cake.

These cupcakes were crazy delicious (anyone remember that reference? I know it's so 2005.) My friends at the barbeque gobbled them up. One guy there compared the cake portion to "a Hostess cupcake that actually tastes fresh." Sorry Hostess, but he's right.

I doubled the recipe and ended up with 53 cupcakes. I sooo did not need that many. The original, un-doubled recipe (as written below) was supposed to yield 18, but be aware that you may end up with a lot more. These cupcakes expand a lot, so be sure not to overfill your cupcake tins.


For the Cupcakes:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup black coffee
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line your cupcake tins with paper liners.

Sift all dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a separate medium bowl, add all the wet ingredients. With your mixer on medium speed, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix for 2 minutes. The batter will be quite soupy - this is ok!

Pour batter into the prepared cupcake fan, filling just slightly more than halfway. Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs. Cool cupcakes in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, and then remove from pan to cool completely.

While you're waiting for the cupcakes to cool, make your filling. DO NOT, make this filling with a hand mixer. You can cream together the butter and sugar with one, but put it away before adding the marshmallow fluff. I'm pretty sure mine is going to die very, very soon as a result of doing so, because the second I turned it on the filling spun around the beaters like cotton candy and got all up in the mixer's crevices. I don't know if a stand mixer would be any different, or if it would have helped had I used a paddle attachment like the recipe indicated. Use your best judgment about your kitchen tools, but I would recommend spraying a metal spoon with non-stick spray and just stirring this together the old fashioned way.


For the filling:

8 large marshmallows
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 stick butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounces Marshmallow Fluff
Pinch of salt

Arrange the marshmallows on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place baking sheet on lower rack of your oven, and toast marshmallows under the broiler until they are brown. Mine took about 3 minutes, but keep an eye on them since they burn very quickly. Cream together the butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add vanilla and mix on high for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, and stir well with a non-stick spray coated spoon until well combined.

When your cupcakes are cool, cut a small portion out of the middle with a paring knife, or use one of those handy dandy cupcake corers to make the job easier. I recently got mine at Target for around $5. Using a small piping tip, fill the hollowed out portion of the cupcake with the marshmallow filling.

For the Frosting:

(Double this recipe if you frost heavily, like I did in the picture.)

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar, plus more as needed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup Classic Ovaltine
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
1/4 cup whipping cream

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until well combined. Add in vanilla and Ovaltine, continue to beat until combined. Add in the melted chocolate, and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Beat in whipping cream on medium high speed for about 2 more minutes. I added about 2 additional cups of powdered sugar to get it to piping consistency.

Frost cooled, filled cupcakes with frosting, garnish with chocolate sprinkles and a Whopper candy, if desired.

I recommend storing these in the fridge due to the cream in the frosting, but be sure to bring them to room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.

Source: Sweetapolita

15 comments:

  1. I LOVE cupcakes and can never get enough of them. These look so insanely good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those look fantastic. What a wonderful treat to take to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I think the chocolate marshmallow thing is going around the blogoverse.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. 53 cupcakes - wow! I am so happy that you made that delicious cake of Sweetapolita's into cupcakes! I am a cupcake lover too and these sound crazy delicious!! I have got to try these very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ♥ cupcakes just as much as you gals! I am loving these ones especially! Anything cream filled is callin my name! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, that marshmellow center is making me ca ca crazzyy :) in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um. OH MY GAH.

    This is insanely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie - that. looks. AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are unbelievable. That marshmallow center has made me weak kneed. These look amazing and I'm sure they are drop dead delicious. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. those cupcakes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cupcakes are looking amazing! I have to bake them soon. :-) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these cupcakes around midnight last night! I'm a night owl, what can I say? I found your blog this morning after having a bit of trouble making them...filling crawling up the mixer attachments! Hahaa! I also used Sweetapolita's recipe! :)
    I read your version AFTER I made notes to the recipe for the next time around...Your recipe is almost exactly like my revised version!
    Don't ya just love messin' around in the kitchen??!! LOL! Nevertheless, the cupcakes are delicious! You may not believe this, but my boyfriend said the EXACT same thing your friend did..."These remind me of a Hostess cupcake, but better and fresh!" Too Funny!!
    I think I shall scan through your blog now and see what I can bake up today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some one is copying ur photos
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=140219229386660&set=a.140219056053344.36001.122958771112706&type=3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anoymous - can you email me at maggieandanniegill@gmail.com? The link you provided doesn't work, I think it may be a private album. I'd love your help if you have time though! Thanks.

    - Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio