Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mexican Quinoa



Posted by: Annie


I am a complete creature of habit when it comes to my food. Typically I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch, and then decide on one thing to eat for dinner Monday through Thursday. Very, very boring for a food blogger, I know. In the winter I was constantly making black bean soup. I would make a pot on Sunday and eat it every night for dinner during the work week. Lately, I have not been in a black bean soup mood (maybe it is the 90 degree days we have been having here in Philly! Yuck!), but I think this Mexican Quinoa will be my summer replacement for black bean soup! 

1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 large white onion
10 medium crimini mushrooms, diced
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (I could only find grape tomatoes!)
2 small avocados, peeled and diced
2 tbsp lime juice
Salt to taste

Cook quinoa on the stovetop by adding one cup dry quinoa to 1 and ¾ cups water. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes, until cooked and all the water from the pot has evaporated. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil.

While the quinoa is cooking dice the onions and mushrooms and sauté over medium heat in one tablespoon olive oil. Heat until lightly browned and the moisture has been cooked from the mushrooms.

Add the cooked quinoa and black beans to the pan with the mushrooms and onions, stir, and heat through.

Add two tablespoons lime juice and lower the heat. Mix in the tomatoes and avocado. I served mine with a dollop of low-fat sour-cream and hot sauce!

3 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic. I cannot wait to try it. I get in a rut with what I fix and this would be a great new addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally a creature of habit when it comes to eating habits too! So lame...I have cereal every morning :D
    That quinoa sounds really really delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful dish. This is one I must really try. It really looks delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio