Saturday, June 18, 2011

Overnight French Toast Casserole

Overnight French Toast Casserole

Posted by: Maggie

So, I've been gone for awhile with no explanation. Sorry. Or should I say...lo siento?

I'm leaving for a work trip to Lima, Peru bright and early tomorrow morning - a trip which is a result of a couple weeks of insane hours at work, and very, very little cooking. While most of the trip will be spent working, I'm super excited to have ceviche and pisco sours somewhere other than the Latin American bar across the street from my office!

Annie was in town visiting last weekend (we went to see the Glee tour!) and I made this french toast casserole for our breakfast one morning. It was obviously way too much food for the both of us, but it would be excellent if you're hosting brunch and don't want to stand over the stove all morning flipping pancakes for people.

Back with more recipes (and pictures of my trip!) soon!

For the French Toast:

1 loaf crusty sourdough or french bread
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract

For the Topping:

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
nutmeg, to taste (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into small pieces

Grease a 9x13 glass pan with butter. Tear your bread into small pieces, and place evenly in pan. Beat together eggs, milk, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla, and pour mixture evenly over bread. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

You can make the topping at night and refrigerate separately from the casserole, or mix it together in the morning. To make the topping, mix all the dry ingredients together. Add butter pieces, and using a pastry blender or 2 knives mix together until it resembles coarse crumbs.

When it is time to bake the casserole, sprinkle topping over bread mixture, and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serve immediately with maple syrup.

Printer-friendly
Source: The Pioneer Woman

8 comments:

  1. That just looks fantastic. I am trying this recipe out. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my god. I will have to make this.

    This weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my... it's sitting in my refrigerator right now. I'm so excited. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I made it. epic epic epic epic

    http://unhipsquirrel.blogspot.com/2011/06/overnight-french-toast.html

    THANK YOU for this. It is definitely going to be entering my regular repertoire for when having company over for brunch. I think it is possibly the best thing I have ever baked... ever. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this and it was really good!! I had made a similar french toast casserole before, but yours was better. the main difference was your topping, which made it perfect. I also liked how moist & tasty the inside was, and that it had an almost bread pudding/heavy custard taste to it. I used sourdough bread which i think was perfect. better than challah. also better to break the bread into small pieces as you described, whereas before I always just laid out the sliced bread. My fiance and son (age 8) also liked it. I don't have a pastry blender and used 4 knives (2 by me and 2 by my son) to make the topping, while took longer it came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this and it was really good!! I had made a similar french toast casserole before, but yours was better. the main difference was your topping, which made it perfect. I also liked how moist & tasty the inside was, and that it had an almost bread pudding/heavy custard taste to it. I used sourdough bread which i think was perfect. better than challah. also better to break the bread into small pieces as you described, whereas before I always just laid out the sliced bread. My fiance and son (age 8) also liked it. I don't have a pastry blender and used 4 knives (2 by me and 2 by my son) to make the topping, while took longer it came out great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can make the top crust in the food processor! a few pulses and you are golden! thats how i make the topping for my apple pie! anyways i will be making this for christmas morning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio