Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer Berry Tart



Summer Berry Puff Pastry Tart

Posted by: Maggie

Look at me actually posting something seasonal, and appropriate for the upcoming 4th of July holiday! I always seem to have the worst timing when it comes to recipes I make, and I always want things like pumpkin at totally inopportune and unseasonal times (umm...like now. It's hot here and I'm craving fall.)

I have to put my desire for fall aside for now, because berries are so gosh darn delicious in the summer that they almost make this disgustingly hot season worthwhile. I do not like summer at all. I just despise the heat and humidity, and all the people who tell me that my hair "doesn't look that bad" when it frizzes so much that I look like Art Garfunkel's long lost sister. The only thing I like about this season is that berries aren't sour and disgusting in June, July, and August like they are the rest of the year.  Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries are my favorite fruits, and I usually eat them all before I have a chance to bake with them. 

Come on, look how pretty? Who wouldn't scarf all these down before making dessert? These practically are a dessert! (As you can tell from the pic below I originally planned to use strawberries on the tart too, but changed my mind and just ate them!)

Berries

Inhale all the berries you want for the next couple months, but make sure you set aside a small stash to make this tart. It was one of those desserts that I didn't have high expectations for - I just thought it would be something for Jeff and I to snack on - and it totally blew both of us away. We may have polished off the whole tart in two days. It's fruit, so it's ok. 

Summer Berry Puff Pastry Tart

Here's what you'll need:

Flour for your work surface
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest 
3 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
A combination of blueberries and raspberries (blackberries and strawberries would also be great!) I didn't measure the fruit, just eyeball it according to your own tastes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, slightly roll out puff pastry sheet, and transfer it to a parchment lined baking sheet. Gently score a 1 inch border around the edge of the puff pastry with a knife, being careful not to cut all the way through. Brush beaten egg on the border you've created, and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake until golden and puffed, about 18-22 minutes.

Using the tip of a knife, gently re-score the border of your puff pastry without cutting through. Gently flatten the center of the pastry sheet. Cool at room temperature for about 20 minutes. 

While cooling, make the cream cheese mixture. Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the heavy cream, lemon zest, and 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, and beat again until smooth. Spread the mixture in the middle of the cooled pastry sheet. 

Arrange your fruit in desired pattern, and sprinkle with the remaining powdered sugar. Store leftovers (if there are any!) in the fridge.

Source: Real Simple

5 comments:

  1. Mmm this berry tart looks delicious and is perfect for the upcoming holiday!! I'll have to make this for my family while we're down at the lake this weekend :) Loving your blog and so glad to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that is gorgeous! So fresh and creamy, and appropriate for the 4th of July. Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this tart is BEAUTIFUL Maggie! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful picture and the recipe looks yummy too! I cannot wait to give this a try with all the blueberries I have at my house. Come over and visit us today. We have a great chilled soup recipe and a wonderful giveway with the Fairy Hobmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am ALWAYS craving pumpkin also! So glad I'm not the only one. But I do make room for berries in the summer and this tart looks like a totally fabulous way to use them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio