Friday, July 15, 2011

Bittersweet Chocolate Cherry Cookies



Posted by: Maggie


Does anyone else wind up with random baking ingredients left over from other recipes in their cabinet? Do they stay there for all eternity, or at least until a desperate chocolate craving hits and you end up eating that last quarter cup of chocolate chips from the bottom of the bag.

Yeah...me too...until these cookies.

This cookie was intended as a way to use up some dried cherries I had floating around from when I made baked brie last month (it's not on the blog, it was too dark to photograph when I made it), and the bittersweet chocolate was left over from when I made frosting for these bad boys.

I probably wouldn't have gravitated towards this recipe unless I was trying to use up ingredients, but I am so. glad. I. did.

The slightly bitter chocolate chips, the tart dried cherries, and the perfectly sweet chocolate cookie dough   complement each other perfectly, and I am super excited for Jeff to come over and taste test them himself.

I slightly adapted this recipe from one of my favorite bloggers, Jessica, of How Sweet It Is. Also, check out this post that she did where she rips cookies in half and stacks the halves (did that make sense at all? She explains it better...) Instead of rolling my cookies in a ball like I usually do, I used the rip and stack method, which made the tops nice and jagged, like a bakery cookie.

Here is what you need:

2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Heaping 1/2 cup dried cherries
Heaping 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth. Add in the eggs and vanilla, and beat until combined.

In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually beat in to the butter mixture on low speed, until just combined.

Fold in cherries and bittersweet chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 10-15 minutes, just so it's easier to work with and doesn't spread as much.

Using the "rip and stack" method, form your cookies and place on baking sheet, spaced about 1.5 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, and cool on cookie sheets for 3-4 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie and Annie,
    I just discovered your blog: looks good!
    Nice recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy these looks so delicious Maggie and Annie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow do those look good. I cannot wait to try them out. Chocolate and cherry are the perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That happens to me all the time! Looks like you ended up with some delicious cookies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio