Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Homemade Oreos



Posted by: Annie

Store bought cookies...

No offense to them, but they must don't make it into my grocery cart anymore.  I have nothing against them, except that I have guilt, major guilt.  How can I buy packaged chocolate chip cookies when I know that I can make them myself?  

All guilt aside, sometimes a girl just needs an Oreo, and a double-stuffed one at that.  With this recipe, I can avoid hiding packages of Oreos at the bottom of my cart and make my own at home - and, stuff them with as much frosting as my heart desires! Triple stuffed anyone? 

What you'll need:

For the wafers:

1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa 
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg

For the filling:

1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Arrange oven racks so that there are two in the middle of the oven.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 

Using an electric mixer, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. On low speed, mix in the butter and the egg. Mix until the dough comes together. 

Take rounded tablespoons of dough and scoop onto the lined baking sheets.  Lightly moisten hands and slightly flatten the dough.  Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once while baking.  Set baking sheets on rack to cool. 

Now, for the best part.  To make the Oreo filling, combine butter and shortening and slowly beat in the sugar and vanilla.  Increase the mixer speed to high and beat the mixture for 2-3 minutes, until the filling is light and fluffy. 

To assemble your Oreos, use a pastry bag with a 1/2 inch round tip, and squeeze a teaspoon sized amount of cream onto the center of one of your wafers.  Do your best to find a matching size wafer to place on top, and gently push the cookies together to evenly fill the cookie.  Repeat for the remaining cookies. 


6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I love Oreos but I seriously need to make some homemade ones. These look amazing. I would so eat these for breakfast right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look unbelievably delicious. I can't almost taste the chocolatey goodness just looking at them. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made homemade oreos, but with a boxed cake mix for the wafers. I am bookmarking this 'from-scratch' wafer recipe! It sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG is all I can say. I have to make those, eat them and make some more! Come over and visit us and check out our bruschetta recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look fab, I'm going to make some this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a batch and they're great, I really recommend giving them a go. Plus they're huge! For anyone needing metric measurements I've listed them at http://craftyblueberry.blogspot.com/2011/07/big-fat-homemade-oreos.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio