Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Roasted Banana Ice Cream



Posted by: Maggie

This is the second recipe I've made from David Lebovitz's "Perfect Scoop" cookbook, and I think it's safe to say that I'm now addicted to making ice cream. I selected this recipe because I had 3 overripe bananas languishing on my counter, and I wanted to use them up on something other than banana bread. Plus, the oh-so-reliable Wikipedia says it's National Ice Cream month, and who am I to let such an occasion go by without celebrating?

For those of you who also like to make homemade ice cream, I wanted to share this company that I recently found. They're called Sweet Bliss, and make plain white pint and quart sized disposable ice cream containers. The first time I made ice cream, I stored it in a regular tupperware, and it turned into a freezer burned rock hard mass. I searched and searched online for a place to purchase a more appropriate storage vessel for my frozen treats.

I wanted disposable containers, but most places make you buy eleventy billion of them at once. Not happening. I live in a 600 square foot studio in a high rise apartment building. Closet space is at a premium, and there is not a shot in hell that I'm storing enough ice cream containers to last the zombie apocalypse, especially when there are shoes and purses to be stored.

Enter, Sweet Bliss. I was able to purchase a reasonably sized 25-pack of pint containers and a 25-pack of quart containers, that will surely last me for many, many years. As an added bonus, they fit neatly on a shelf in my closet. Sweet Bliss has no idea who I am, and are not paying me to advertise their product - I'm just a fan and wanted to share!

Here's what you'll need for the ice cream:

3 medium-sized ripe bananas, peeled
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups whole milk (do not sub low-fat or skim - the texture of the final product will be off)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Cut peeled bananas into 1/2 inch chunks. In a 2 quart baking dish, combine bananas, brown sugar, and butter. Gently toss with your hands to thoroughly combine, and bake for 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through.

When banana mixture is done, add the bananas and the syrup that has formed in the baking dish to a food processor or blender. Add in the milk, sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt. Process or blend for about 30 seconds, or until smooth.

Chill the mixture in the fridge for at least 12 hours (I waited for about 20 hours,) and then freeze chilled mixture in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. For those of you who use the popular Cuisinart model (the kind I have,) the ice cream took a little less than the recommended 20 minutes to be done.

Makes 1 pint.

Addendum: I have never posted nutrition information on here before, but I often figure it out for stuff I make and thought it might be useful to others if I shared! I won't be posting it for everything because that will be tremendously annoying to figure out, and frankly, I don't always want to know how much damage I've done. I hope on the occasion that I decide to figure the nutrition stats that you all find it helpful! Also, I usually calculate nutrition stats using a program like fitday.com, or by adding up the data on the products I use, so be advised that there may be a slight margin of error when you make it! 

Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
Nutrition per Serving: 255 calories, 7 grams fat, 49 grams carbs, 4 grams protein

5 comments:

  1. Banana ice cream is my absolute favourite, yours looks delicious!! I think I'm going to make some lemon meringue ice cream today, but the weather is so miserable it's kind of putting me off!! And I think its great you're including nutritional information, I don't follow that kind of thing too closely, but its always useful to get an idea of the calories you're consuming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive got to get the "perfect scoop" now. Ive seen so many recipes from that book everywhere and each one is better than the other. I love bananas is everything and your icecream looks soo creamy and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this ice cream sounds delicious. I do not have an ice-cream maker, maybe I should invest in one. But then there is the other problem: where do I store it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for recommending Sweet Bliss! I've been looking for containers like that for awhile.

    I LOVE this recipe. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks killer. I'm a huge fan of cooked bananas (ever try the fried bananas and ice cream at Thai restaurants?) and I can only imagine that they would ROCK in ice cream form.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I love reading them, and try to respond to questions as soon as possible. Comments are moderated to prevent spam, and will not show up immediately. Anonymous comments will not be published, so please be friendly and leave your name!

Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio